Wednesday, 12 November 2014

Birthdays

Or really birthday etiquette. 

It was my brother's girlfriend's birthday yesterday, I sent her a card. Should I also have sent her a text/phoned her/written on her facebook wall as well? This is not a facebook issue, this is nothing to do with how people feel about social media, it's about birthdays.

This is an area where Dan and I disagree. On his birthday he seems to spend half the day texting, messaging or phoning people to say thank you for their birthday wishes, for their card or whatever. I don't think he should spend his birthday doing that - it's his birthday. I don't mind sending a thank you card or message after the event, and of course I always thank people in person for good wishes. But to spend the actual day doing it - when he is the one doing the phoning, that's weird to me.

Anyway, back to the birthday card yesterday. I see this morning on facebook than my brother has wished his girlfriend happy birthday there, I assume he's also sent her a card, and they live together. I think that's unnecessary, I don't need everyone else to know I'm wishing someone a happy birthday, and I don't think my feelings mean more the more I say them and in different formats. Am I the only one? I think on this topic I probably am.

10 comments:

  1. FB is the Devil in disguise if you ask me x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a woman who knows her own mind!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm, I can't understand when people put links or notices of peoples (celebrities) deaths, as if they know the people concerned. I mean what good does it do?

    Also, the fact that you are expected to 'like' comments all the time, even if you don't like it!

    I send birthday cards, sometimes presents, and if I know the facebook friend well enough to wish them birthday wishes on the site, do that. I might make one umbrella quote at the end of the day thanking for the wishes, but that's all. I probably don't get that many so it's not a problem, haha, miserable bah humbug that I am. (that includes Christmas, UGHHHHHH)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I have one friend who loves to break all the news.

    Maybe I'm just a miserable sort too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a birthday card from my close friends and family but I don't mind Facebook ones from people I haven't seen in a while.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the whole point of facebook for me is that I can keep in touch with friends who live all over the world, it's a great way to keep in touch. I just don't think people need to send me a card, wish me happy birthday in person, stick it on facebook and get my favourite celebrity to tweet me!

      Although if Phil Jagielka did wish to nip round for a brew he is more than welcome.

      Delete
  5. I want a dislike button on Facebook!! X

    ReplyDelete
  6. If I don't send a card I will send a text message so that the receiver knows I've not forgotten or I might phone them. If I'm unable to contact them then I will leave a message on facebook. One or the other not all.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's my approach too. I'm not against facebook at all, it's really useful to me, but I don't feel the need to go over the top.

      Delete