Wednesday, 1 October 2014

Not Quite As Expected

The manager of the charity shop informed me yesterday that a deputy manager job was available at the charity shop in the next town. I've been talking about keeping my eye out for a job, but I wasn't expecting it to arrive this way.

So the question is, do I go for it? There are always a million reasons not to do something and not that many for doing it, but I'm thinking about it. The reasons for applying are - it would be good practice for filling in forms and hopefully interviews, money, getting out and about, money, and narrowing the gaps in my very scant work history. The reasons for not doing it aren't really reasons, they're actually fears. I think my main fear is that I wouldn't get an interview, but I'd still be part of the charity and I'd know that they think I'm only good enough to work in an unpaid role. 

Now I write that down, it doesn't seem as daft a fear as I thought. I mean, I haven't had a paid job for over 10 years, so I haven't had to categorise myself in terms of my commercial worth. It's one thing for me to think I don't have monetary worth, but for someone else to think it would be very tough to take. 

But then again, I look around at people who are deputy managers and managers and think, if they can do it then so can I! 




16 comments:

  1. If you would like to do the job, I would just give it a go. Whilst not wanting to diminish your fears and feelings. If you don't get an interview or the job, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're not worth paying, it may just mean several other people with more experience applied too. The whole process will probably be very useful, even if you got an interview, but not the job, good practice for future interviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if the job was for a different organisation/company I'd not even bother about not getting an interview, but as I've worked for the area manager before and know everyone involved I think I would take it personally. I mean it wouldn't be the end of the world but it would be food for thought.

      As for whether I'd like to do the job, I genuinely don't know. I know I could do it, I know I would do it, but do I want to is an open question. I just think it would be good to move towards getting paid work now while I have the choice rather than if the time comes when I have to do so.

      Delete
    2. Good luck whatever you do, although I'm sure you don't need it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, I know you're right, I'm just working through my feelings!

      Delete
  2. Go for it, being a volunteer is great training. I started work as a classroom volunteer, got offered a job as a teacher's aide, eventually finished college and got a teaching job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would show that you are keen to progress, so if you didn't get that position, they may consider you if something else came up. I can understand why you would hesitate though, I would be the same. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We can tend to venture to the darkest option in our minds can't we!

      Delete
  4. Go for it. If you get it - great. If you don't get it - great. It's a win, win situation. They will have their own criteria for the person for the post. If it's fits you - great, if it doesn't, it doesn't mean you couldn't do the job, it just means you didn't tick all their boxes.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only box I don't tick is being able to drive, but that's not essential which is good. You're right, it probably is a win win situation. Everything will be OK whatever happens.

      Delete
  5. try not to over think it - you have your feet under the table already and shown you are reliable and hardworking - you have hands on experience as a volunteer...
    You will be working in tandem with the experienced manager so see it as an opportunity to get paid while you learn and gather new skills.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, wise words as ever. You make a very valuable point, I've been looking at it in terms of how "they" see me, not what they have to offer me.

      Delete
  6. Go for it. The experience can only be good a good thing in all ways. Go on, go for it.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am almost 100% certain that I will. Everyone's reassurance has been really helpful.

      Delete