Monday, 13 October 2014

Looking Around

one for the Jeremy Deller fans
This weekend was just spend looking around, not really with any aim in mind, just walking around and seeing what was what. We hadn't been to Bury since about 2002, so we decided to go on Friday. Normally before we go out we do a little bit of research to see what's going on, but on this day we didn't. Which was a shame. 

The purpose of our trip was to visit the art gallery to see "Scintilla From Our Sun", part of the Manchester Asia Triennial. What we discovered on our arrival was the it was also Bury Light Night, an evening of light displays, performances and participatory events all over the town centre. Sadly we had to leave before this began, it is in my mind for next year though. 

Although we wish we'd known about the evenings events it was OK to miss out on it this time around, we don't usually do things off the cuff so the fact we just upped and went with no real expectations was more important than having the best day out ever. It was still a really enjoyable day, and I was stuffed with free samples from the market!

6 comments:

  1. We went to Bury market, a couple of years, to do some Christmas shopping. It wasn't successful we came home with some black puddings and that was it. We felt it was very similar to Fleetwood market.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'd go Christmas shopping there, but it was great for food, and the health food store was great.

      I've never been inside Fleetwood market, all I tend to see when we go past are those fleecy jackets with wolves on!

      Delete
    2. Yes I know what you mean about those fleece jackets. There are three areas inside and also some stalls outside. It's worth a look even if you don't buy anything.
      Carolx

      Delete
    3. We go to Fleetwood fairly often, just for a walk on the beach, so I'll have a stroll round the market next time. Thanks for letting me know it's decent, I just thought it was clothing, I'm excited to explore now.

      Delete
  2. Our market used to be really good especially the outdoor one. I am from Sheffield originally and they have just built a new all singing all dancing indoor market to replace the old one but I hear it is not attracting the shoppers. Somehow they are more attractive and interesting if old and slightly dilapidated like the Leeds one. Me and my mum always stopped for a drink in the market after shopping at stalls just like your picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love going to the market when I was little, we had a small indoor market with a haberdashery, sweet stall and everything else to excite a young person! The cafe "Le Rendezvous" was owned by one of the teachers at my primary school. I loved going in there for a milky coffee!

      Delete