Saturday, 18 October 2014

Egged On

We were supposed to be going to Workington Last night to watch a game of rugby but I wasn't feeling amazing so we decided against it. Instead we went to Kendal - not somewhere we'd usually choose to go, but why not. Anyway, all that to say I ended up in a fabric shop and bought a piece or two of fabric. At the till the lady pointed out it was the brand new Downton Abbey range, who would have thought?




When we got home we decided to have a no spend Saturday, hopefully stretching to a no spend weekend. Sunday should be fairly easy as there's football to watch and other relaxing things to be done. Saturdays are more tricky. We tend to talk each other into things, something simple can turn into something more complex/extravagant when we start egging each other on - getting out of the house turns into a day out, going for coffee turns into coffee and cake etc. We had a chat about it last night and decided if we can talk each other into bad ways, we can talk each other into good things too. 

I know for a lot of super frugal types staying in and not spending any money at all is easy peasy, but not for us, we like to have a bob or two available, it's a hangover from our small amount of pocket money we had when times were hard - back then we had £10 a month between us for things like chocolate bars, baking ingredients or the odd bottle of something. 

This morning we had a lie in. Until 9am, not too difficult for me but a very good test for Dan, he's an early riser, actually, I've never met an East Lancastrian who isn't. Then we looked out of the window and decided against gardening, settling instead for tidying the garage, ready for when the new sofa arrives. I suggested a tip and charity shop run, as most of the stashing and dashing was stuff to take to one or the other. So we filled the car and went off. I nipped into my old manager's new charity shop but I'd just missed her, which was a shame. So we left the donations, went to the tip, drove back along the coast then came home ready for lunch. 

We did another tweaked menu plan and I dealt with a few things - something needed to go into the freezer, veg needed to be chopped for tonight and carrot sticks needed to be munched. When I was chopping for tonight I decided to make a shepherdess pie from the rest of the leek and orange pepper, plus some fruit pasties with half a sheet of puff pastry and a couple of spoonfuls of compote. the shepherdess pie a bit of a pantry affair as I have no fresh veg left. Foolishly I turned my back on it to hang the laundry out - it's a surprisingly nice day.  When I came back it was stuck to the pan and there were some very obvious black bits when I stirred it. However, we tasted it, Dan declared it "deliciously smoky", so it's now cooling ready to go into the freezer for next week. 

So we're listening to the football, waiting for pasties to cook in a swept, aired, laundry fragranced relaxing house, and not a penny spent, this kind of living is very easy to enjoy. 

edited to add - The whole point of this point was that I benefitted from sorting the garage. Much of the stuff for the charity shop was from my mum, she told me to have a look through the stuff in case there was anything I wanted. I nearly didn't bother, but decided to have a quick peep and I managed to cross something off my wardrobe wants list! I've been after a short cardigan that's not too clingy. There were a couple in the bag, one was too scratchy though, the other was a lilac cable knit. It's a size up from what I'd buy normally but it is ideal for over a jumper. Happy times. 

8 comments:

  1. It's surprising how much can get done without spending a penny. (money not the other!)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee. It's a great way to stop avoiding all those little jobs that need to be done.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a lovely busy no spend day. Good luck today and enjoy the rest of your weekend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. We had a great relaxing weekend, just what the doctor ordered for Dan I can tell you.

      Delete
  3. If we go off for the day in the car (well, we wouldn't go not in the car), we take a stove, water and brewing equipment. That is if weather OK. Otherwise I would make a flask of coffee and take nibbles/sandwiches cakes etc. Coffee and cake out is a nice treat but I begrudge paying for it regularly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We often do take a flask, but we're dangerous when we don't! When we went to Kendal we took a drink and a biscuit with us. We weren't even out of Lancashire before we ate that though as we were stuck in a massive traffic jam!

      Delete