Wednesday, 8 October 2014

Breezing Through

This morning has been very different to yesterday. I'd like to say it was just a new attitude, or gumption, but it's not. I recorded the Channel 4 show OCD Cleaners. I know everyone feels motivated to clean when they see this type of show, I am especially motivated because it reminds me of how my house used to look. 

Ten years ago I could have been on one of those shows. I always had a messy rooms when I was little, other than when I had a blitz and organised things perfectly - which if course didn't last more than a day or two. I continued in this way for years. Poor old Dan, it wasn't his fault, he tried his best, but it was my mess and my mind that held me back, he was fighting a losing battle. I'm sure I've mentioned in the past that on occasion he'd have to go to the 24 hour supermarket to buy clothes to wear at work that day. Not good. 

Then I stopped being like that and threw things away, got into a routine, did stuff and found that the doing of stuff was what got things done. It took a long time, but eventually the house was ideal. In fact I was probably a little bit too routine led for about a year, but it was what I needed at the time. Then I had so much time. Time i wasn't spending looking for things just in order to get out of the house, time to let people in to do jobs that needed to be done, time to do things we wanted to do, and time to relax without looking around at all the things than paralysed me. 

After a treacle day like yesterday, watching that show and feeling for those disorganised people gave me a bittersweet feeling, understanding how those people got to where they found themselves and also remembering the feeling of freedom from all that held me back. By 9.30 things were very shiny and citrus scented. I am quilting though, so there's still fabric all over the place! 

13 comments:

  1. Forgot to say, I had some sad news yesterday. Dan spoke to the boiler guy, who I like a great deal. He has given up the job as he has cancer. I was so upset to hear it, he's a fantastic guy and I really enjoyed chatting with him whenever he came round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your boiler guy, it is sad so many people you know have something. You've reminded me my boiler needs servicing too.

    I wanted to ask you if, when I receive your blog through on email, I have sometimes replied to that email,does it come to the post, as I've not seen it. Maybe I ought to click on the link rather than 'replying'.

    On your comment about Blackpool Airport, it's very sad, I heard something on the news last night but thought I heard that they were trying to keep it open by building a smarter hotel. The lack of a smart hotel wouldn't put me off I must admit, as if I needed a bed for the night, so long as it was clean that would do.

    I'm a bit of a cluttered person as I do so many crafts and have wool and stuff lying around. Not much storage I have to admit which is the source of the problem and don't want not to do anything just to have a tidy house. I never used to be untidy when I had a larger house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I publish all the comments that arrive, so I think if you reply via email they must disappear somewhere, clicking the link must be the way to do it.

      The airport story and the hotel story appear to be unrelated. As far as I know the proposed hotel is in the centre of the town, so wouldn't really be convenient for the airport. In terms of the airshow, there seems to be a belief that it's just closing to commercial traffic so may still be open for the Air Ambulance and for traffic to the oil rigs etc.

      Space wasn't really an issue for me when I was untidy, I just expanded to exceed the space I had! I can understand how a lack of decent storage would lead to a clutter build up though. Once I learned the rule about making things easier to put away than they were to get out it made my relationship with storage a lot easier!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you've been on a real journey in the last 10 years. I watched that programme last night. I loved it. It hasn't made me go through the house with a dose of salts though, more's the pity. I don't think I could EVER do that toilet seat thing though, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't think I will attempt that trick any time soon, no matter how clean I believe my facilities to be!

      I think a blog of the previous decade would probably be far more exciting than the one that really exists! During that time I used a couple of message boards, so my "journey" is well documented. I was lucky enough to receive a lot of support from complete strangers, and we had a little support network where we helped each other sort through our stuff.

      Delete
  4. Glad you're feeling a better - nothing more satisfying than a clean house.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope you're over your illness now too.

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your boiler guy, I hope he gets through it. I have fits and starts with clearing/cleaning but I am certainly better than when I was younger, just got to train my husband now! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so too.

      I am very lucky that Dan is very organised and tidy.

      Delete
  6. We have a lot of clutter about and need to get motivated to get it sorted. Maybe I should watch this programme and get some tips. Hope your boiler man responds to his treatment and soon recovers.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, me too, he's a lovely person.

      I don't know if you'd pick up any tips from the show, but it can be motivational!

      Delete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about your boiler chap. Two of hubby's colleagues have recently been diagnosed with cancer - both in their forties.
    I've been tidying up the attic over the last week. It was shameful, and looked a bit like some of those rooms that can be seen on ' hoarder' programmes. It was all caused through laziness. I've tidied downstairs and taken things upstairs where they belong but not put them back where they should be. It had just become a dumping ground and it was beginning to get me down. It's so much better now; I've rediscovered what is a lovely room, there's space for me to get on with rather a lot of sewing that needs doing, and I feel so much lighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, sorry to hear about your husband's colleagues, it's an all too frequent happening these days.

      I know what you mean about areas like the attic - "stash and dash" locations are so convenient until that moment you see it for the mess it has become and you have to face it all again! *eeeek*

      Delete