Sunday, 14 September 2014

Wonderful World, Beautiful People


Donkeys on their way to the beach

Yesterday we went to the Winter Gardens in Blackpool, to the very beautiful Empress Ballroom.



I took the opportunity to get some photographs. I love this space, but I've only ever been here in the evening before so snapping away hasn't been too successful. 



 Anyway, as you can tell, I wasn't alone, it was time for the Northern Vegan Festival. You may or may not recall we went to Lancaster earlier in the year, so I was looking forward to visiting some of the same stalls and eating some of the same cakes!

The first surprise was that we had to queue to get in! The final surprise was for the people coming in to see the matinee of Mamma Mia, I don't think they were expecting quite what they saw (the theatre is next to the ballroom). There were also some freebies to be had, mainly edible, *hooray* and lots and lots of literature in the foyer, I was very sorry not to be able to attend London Vegfest at the end of the month, it looks amazing. This was more than made up for by seeing and chatting to the anti-fracking nannas!




The Nannas had been demonstrating for a while at a site in nearby Little Plumpton, they were recently moved on after they were banned from the site. They now sit outside a garden centre next door, how nanna-ish of them! 

I was impressed to see some big brands there this time around such as Goody Good Stuff jelly sweets and Koko coconut milk, plus some of the very splendid online retailers such as Wills shoes and I Choose What I use, who had a buy one get one half price on my favourite Weleda sea buckthorn body wash. 

As we'd decided to use the cash from the change jar as our budget we had the chance to really treat ourselves. We went for a smelly candle from Harper's Bizarre, some body oil and things from Heavenly Organics (the stallholder very kindly complimented my outfit, something that never happens!) and a lipstick from Bohemian Chic Minerals. The lady from that stand remembered me from Lancaster which was lovely, and later on she approached me to tell me about a secret sale on her website. Delighted! We did manage to get a cake from That Old Chestnut but there were scant pickings as we'd attended a talk about vegan fitness by ex-Everton and Swansea footballer (and now Widnes resident) Neil Robinson and everyone had nipped in while we were busy. We opted for a slice of pistachio and cardamom cake, very good choice.  

I went wild at the Green Party stand, as well as all their political stuff they had a dvd, cd and book sale raising money for their election fund. Books were the amazing price of 3 for £1, so I treated myself to these beauties



Bargain! A very good thing to read as I enjoy some hummus chips and jelly peaches. 

14 comments:

  1. The books look great. You'll enjoy putting your feet up and reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, just some pure enjoyment, nothing too taxing.

      Delete
  2. Fab pictures of the Winter Gardens. I haven't been able to get any decent photos yet. I will try again next month, when L is in a dance competition, with my new camera. Super bargain on the books too.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I took a lot of photographs, but kept it to a bare minimum here. I love the tiles throughout the place too.

      Delete
  3. How fabulous, I wish I could have gone. What a beautiful setting x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is gorgeous. It's a big place so there are lots of areas in need of a refurb. Great to spend time there though, even when the glamour is faded.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a fun day. I would have snapped the sewing book up in a heartbeat. Good find. I haven't been to Blackpool since I was a child but seeing the Tower I have an urge to go back. My children have never seen the Illuminations, I may take them this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was fun. There's still lots of work required throughout the town but there are some really nice areas, and you can never say there's nothing to do!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful place in which to stage the event, those ceilings are beautiful. Bargain books, my favourite things, purchased just at the right time now that the nights are drawing in, it's always good to have something to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you're right, they are ideal Autumn evening books. It's a great venue. I love going to gigs there in the evening as they still open the sweetie kiosk for anyone who fancies a little nibble.

      Delete
  6. I am so jealous, I wish I was there. I am however going to Vegfest in two weeks, so I can tease you back! The books look interesting x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they host it in Blackpool again next year, they seemed pleased with the turnout at any rate.

      Hope you have a good time at Vegfest, the line up looks fantastic. I'm keeping my fingers crossed we can attend next year.

      Delete
  7. Wow - what a wonderful setting. Glad you had a great time and came away with some goodies.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete