Wednesday, 24 September 2014

Where The Chopping Happens

My kitchen is not a thing of great beauty, but as the amount of worktop space I have was mentioned yesterday I thought I'd show you. Excitement. 



As I said in the comments yesterday, there are a couple of sections of worktop, either side of the sink that are pretty much useless for cooking, just for washing up to sit. I try to not let washing up sit there as the kitchen is at the front of the house and looks horrible from outside. We don't have a dishwasher. 

The long length of worktop is 4 feet/120-odd cms. I mainly chop over near the cooker though.


The hob covering chopping board is fairly new and I love it, it gives me loads more space (it was about £10 from Ikea). so that's all that lives on my surfaces - coffee machine, this has only just come out as Dan drinks more coffee in the Autumn and Winter, the kettle, chopping board, salt and pepper shakers, spoon rest and utensils. It's a bit more than I'd like, but I use these things every day. 

The fridge freezer, if anyone was wondering, is behind where I took these pictures, in the dining area. We are currently in discussions about getting an under counter fridge and removing the fridge freezer to give us more space. the fridge would live where the gorgeous bin/recycling area is currently.


So there you have it!

10 comments:

  1. I think it looks very stylish. I really like the hob chopping board, what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The chopping board is great as it has the lip which means it stays put.

      Delete
  2. You have a lovely Kitchen. I think I might have a little less in work surface than you because mine is arranged on only two sides and I have a tall fridge in there too. The chest freezer is out side in the out house along with the washer.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I would love to have the fridge/freezer in the main part of the kitchen. The redesign is all in my head. In my head is where it will stay for a good long while!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I try to keep it that way, until I use the long worktop to cut fabric*ooops*.

      Delete
  4. Lovely, that is a lot of workspace compared to what I have! And so clear and tidy, I am now sloping off with my head hung in shame at the state of my work tops! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is huge compared to the kitchens in most other places I've lived. I just think the layout is bad, and it's not been fitted very well so we have a few unusual angles!

      Delete
  5. We have the same layout as you for kitchen / dining area but slightly smaller - our kitchen would end before your tall unit so we do not have a lot of cupboard space - we are looking to turn our downstairs cloakroom into a pantry. Our fridge is where your gap is and we have a freezer in the garage. I like your black tiles and wow are your surfaces neat and uncluttered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the tiles, they're original to the house and are, in fact, really really really dark brown (although they looked black when we moved in, the place was so dirty).

      I can't complain about the amount of cupboards we have, just that several of them have lots of wasted space due to how it was fitted.

      Delete