Sunday, 21 September 2014

Weekend Stuff



The view from the James Hargreaves stand at Turf Moor in Burnley is one of my favourite views. We were a little low down to see the full thing, but in Autumn or Winter, looking out over the houses and old mills to the East Lancs hills there is little better for me (in the town, but looking at the countryside you see). 

We decided to get to Burnley early so we could have a poke around, normally when we're walking along yorkshire St/Harry Potts way it's pretty crowded so yesterday I saw lots of details I'd never seen before. 



Firstly a detail of the Yorkshire Street Aqueduct aka The Culvert. 



A couple of quick snaps of the pubs. there's a lot of lovely carving all down the street - all you have to do is look up, some of the carved street names are still on the sides of the buildings too. They add a lovely character. 



I realise I've made this look like it says "Odmorde" instead of Todmorden, I assure you it was accidental! This way marker is built into a wall at Turf Moor, I must have walked past it dozens of times without noticing. 


And a little tribute inside the ground!

I had a fab time (in part due to the potato pasty I had at lunchtime - mashed potato wrapped in pasty, wowzer!). We're going back soon with the proper camera to grab some more photographs of the place. It may not be where you want to go for your holidays but I love it.

Today we went for a walk to Lytham, it was pretty busy as plenty of folks were there to get a good view of Southport Air Show. Some of the planes leave from Blackpool Airport, so the prom in Lytham or the beach in St Anne's is a great place to set up. I didn't take any pictures of Lytham though, plenty of folk doing that already, and we were just there to have a nice walk and be together with no distractions for a change. 



4 comments:

  1. It's amazing what you see when you look up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is, I love looking around at the mobile phone shops, convenience stores and bargain bazaars that are housed in fantastic old buildings.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures - I love St. Anns and Lytham too: so pretty there.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete