Tuesday, 23 September 2014

Important Domestic Business



Thank you for all your comments yesterday. I feel lots better now. Funnily enough I also feel better after watching the Derren Brown show on tv last night. He spoke about thought becoming huge in our minds, when really we can change how we think about them and they can become smaller. It was timely and it made me smile. 

Anyway, after talking about it here I decided to focus on something more important to me currently, so I set about doing some very important domestic business. The house is now pretty shiny. I also got rid of the bread bin. Well, that was really Dan's idea, he mentioned it on Sunday.  I looked in the pantry and decided he was right, so out it went. We tend to keep bread in the freezer anyway, so the bin was taking up a lot of space for something that really just held things as they defrosted!

Although it looks like I haven't used any of the herbs and spices, the pantry looks pretty different to the way it did when I first spoke about it here.



the gap where the breadbin used to be!
Yes, we use kitchen roll! We never used to, but it's useful for cleaning up after the rabbits, better for me than to have to deal with rabbit cloths, waiting for a decent amount so I can wash them all together etc. Also, Dan doesn't like using washable cloths (although he doesn't mind me using them) so he uses them if he needs to wipe up spills or whatever. We probably use one roll a month. 



There's a lot more floor space than there used to be!


And a lot more crammed onto the shelves! 

16 comments:

  1. I do envy your pantry. Being a shorty anything on the top shelves of my kitchen cupboards is out of reach. I am always amazed when I see people with clear kitchen counter tops as mine gradually start getting covered in various bits of pieces and then I have to do what you've just done and have a major declutter. I imagine that a pantry keeps a lot of the clutter of the kitchen surfaces? The spice mixes look great I've never seen them in reseal packs like that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a step in the pantry so I can reach the high shelf! That's why it's just stuff like medicines and my electric screwdriver, things I like to have to hand but don't need access to all the time.

      It does help to keep the surfaces clear. we don't have much worktop space, and of what we do have some of it can't really be used so I like to keep things to a minimum.

      I am a massive fan of the spice mixes. The pouches are only small but they last a very long time, I can't recommend them highly enough, I do see them out and about but mainly buy them online -

      http://www.seasonedpioneers.co.uk/

      Delete
  2. Your before and after are both tidier than mine! We don't use our bread bin either so it was relegated to the porch and now holds dog brushes lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my pantry so much I'm always tidying it! Good reuse for the bread bin, I'll have to think if there's anything ours can be used for before it leaves for good.

      Delete
  3. I love your pantry posts. I get a serious case of pantry envy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy them. If it's any help I'm going to share a picture of my kitchen tomorrow, then you'll understand why I like my pantry so much!

      Delete
  4. What a great space. Our first house had a pantry but I think I was to young to appreciate it. I wish I had one now. There is nothing like a good cleaning session to make us feel better. Glad you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was felt good to put everything in order and cosy up a bit.

      I think if I'd had a pantry before now I wouldn't have appreciated it either, it would probably just been somewhere to stash and dash all my junk!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I treat it a bit like a dolls house, so I'm always messing about with it :)

      Delete
  6. When we started fitting out the barge, our walk in pantry was the first room completed. I still don't have a proper kitchen but I love my pantry. Mind you, it's not as tidy as yours. Can't wait to see the kitchen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get your hopes too hight for the kitchen!

      I can imagine you do love your pantry, and that it's a great use of the available space.

      Delete
  7. I wish I had a pantry. When our house was built in the 40's it did have one but has since been removed, Yours is looking very neat.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm lucky really that, until the house was rented out and the kitchen was replaces, very little had been done to alter the house. It's one of the reasons I like it so much .

      Delete
  8. I always to forget to come on here and 'reply' on emails and I don't think they get to the blog. I love your pantry and wish I had one but my house is tiny and I can only use kitchen cupboards. When I do a big shop, half of stuff remains on work top until used or space in fridge and cupboards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, your comments are appreciated. I know what you mean. When we first moved to Lancashire we lived in a flat, there were only three cupboards in the kitchen, and an undercounter fridge, no freezer. Anything bulky lived out on the work top, or stashed elsewhere just to get it out of the way.

      Delete