Friday, 26 September 2014

Having A Sort Out

The week of domesticity continues

I always enjoy reading about Project 333 and all that kind of thing, but it turns out today something really clicked with me. I hadn't really thought about the "think about it" pile. I'd just considered that the "ignore" pile really, but then I read something by Courtney Carver today that made the penny drop. this pile is for the stuff I feel I want to keep hold of but I don't know why. 

Makes complete sense. I shot upstairs to take another look at the wardrobe. Everything was separated out, one or two things went into the rag bag immediately. Then I followed another tip, to photograph all the think about it items. Sadly, it's really grey and dark here today so the photographs aren't great. But here we go (everything looks very creased as I'm not domesticated enough to iron everything before it goes to the charity shop)


Why was it hanging around? T-shirt top left, because I love it even though I rarely wear it - keep. Striped top, because I want to love it - go. Striped jumper, because I wore it loads when I didn't have many other jumpers - go. Both pairs of trousers were there "just because" - go, go. An unphotographed pair of cerise trousers in a similar style have also gone. They're not in the picture as I wore them yesterday, thankfully for the last time. I don't suit trousers - don't let me buy any more! 

 
Why was it hanging around? Tunic, because I only bought it this year. Dan chose it and he usually does very well. It really suits me but I can't get used to the pastel colours on myself. Verdict - keep. Why? I tried it on with a roll neck jumper underneath and it looks better, it'll be great for at home and at the shop when it's colder. Black dress, because I wear it for funerals and serious occasions, but I really don't like it, even though it suits me - keep because I'm not buying another boring funeral dress. 

Skirts, these are tough ones. the black and white skirt I spoke about the other day, it was removed from the charity bag and I tried it on with some of my winter tops. It actually looked fine, it's clearly just a cold weather skirt - keep. Purple skirt. I love this skirt, but it makes me look very wide if I wear the wrong thing with it - keep, but only wear with roll neck jumpers. 



Horrible fleece, white t-shirt, green shorts. No discussion - be gone!

10 comments:

  1. It's funny that you are doing this post today. This morning, it being grey and cold here too, I finally decided to get my winter wardrobe out and put away any summer clothes. There's quite a few things on my think about it pile that I need to make a decision on. To be honest, I feel like throwing the lot out at the moment. Some items I looked at and thought - Did I really wear that?

    I've also been reading Courtney Carver's blog this morning, after you mentioned her in your post yesterday. It's very well written and very inspiring. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike!

      Part of the reason I started with The Desire Map was that I reached that point with lots of things, not just clothes - I just wanted to get rid of everything and start again.

      I'm really happy with my summer clothes, I've managed to pick up quite a fer nice things this year, as long as I keep up with the body moisturiser I'm fine to get my legs out when the time comes round again. hopefully now I've shed some dead wood I'll start to feel the same about my winter things too.

      Glad you're enjoying Courtney Carver's blog. I almost didn't mention it, but I thought it might be useful to someone.

      Delete
    2. It's great, I had a good read few quite a few past posts last night. I'm even thinking of doing the Project 333 thing, but a less extreme version, maybe Project 555. A bit of a cheat but I know my limits and if it gets me started it's all good.

      Delete
    3. Good idea. CC does make it clear that if you don't want to count certain things in with the 33 to not do so, and that 33 is an arbitrary number. Better to give yourself more leeway than not to try it at all because it's not possible to do it perfectly.

      Looking forward to any posts you do about the experience.

      Delete
  2. I've been doing a lot of shedding clothes ready for my move and I've uncovered some horrors. It's really made me think about my buying habits in the future. If there's any doubt in my mind before I hand over the pennies then I won't shell out. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the approach I'll be taking too. I got rid of 10 items today, which makes a huge difference, as I don't own that much clothing.

      I'm enjoying reading about your transition to your new abode. As I think I've said, Dan's grandparents lived in a caravan so it's interesting to see someone else make the switch.

      Delete
  3. I always cringe when I do a clear out - I keep wondering what was going through my head; I've learnt to stick to the classics.

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've recently had a clear out of the shelf in my wardrobe and got rid of quite a bit. Next I have to go through the hangers - there's too many of them.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hangers really mount up. I make sure I refuse one if offered at a high street shop. It feels better to get rid of a few unwanted things.

      Delete