Wednesday, 17 September 2014

Cooking v Preparing Food

I've prepared a bit of food recently, but I can't remember the last time I cooked anything. You know, normal cooking where you start off with a pile of ingredients and end up with something nice to eat. 

Now I'm out of the swing of it, as I've mentioned before cooking is neither my strong point nor my greatest interest, so after not cooking for a while starting to cook again is difficult! My mind is blank, other than lentil hot pot I can't think of a thing to make. Dan was in charge of choosing things this week so we're very very rooty - parsnips, celeriac, potatoes, leeks, plus some mushrooms, even though it's warm I think he's ready for Autumn.

For the next week I'm thinking of making lentil hot pot, maybe a roast, soup, leek and butterbean stew/crumble, something to do with roast veg, shepherdess pie aaaand something else. Dan has been dropping some not so subtle hints about risotto, so maybe that if I can't avoid it. 

10 comments:

  1. ooh shepherdess pie is a favourite here, real comfort food for the autumn. I'm not a great cook, but I'm getting better with age. My daughter says I'm not exactly a bad cook but more a 'food anarchist' - I like to do things my own way, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it hard to be interested enough in cooking to do it properly, the idea of winging it and it not being edible is just more annoying than kind of following a recipe! It's why I usually menu plan, I haven't recently and am really feeling the impact.

      Delete
  2. I've gone back to menu planning now the summer holidays are over. More so that I can keep costs down and use up what we already have than anything else. It does seem to make life easier and run more smoothly and means that I don't need to wrack my brain for ideas about what to make for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same. I haven't done it for a while because we've been so all over the place and we haven't always been at home. I'm looking forward to the next few months where things should be a little more routine.

      Delete
  3. For not thinking of a thing to make I think you've done pretty well. I generally plan the night before or first thing in the morning. It all depends on what's left over, what's in the freezer, what's in the fridge and what's growing in the garden.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been doing that and it's lead to me not eating a meal for about 2 weeks!

      I plan so I don't have to think about it. I just look at the plan and do it. I know planning is not for everyone, but it is for me.

      Delete
  4. You know that Autumn's coming when soup and stew find their way on the menu! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find I get bored when cooking :P I also tend to eat as I cook so when I eat the meal I'm full

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me cooking is a bit like exercising. when I'm doing it it's not too bad, it's the getting going that I don't like!

      Delete