Thursday, 14 August 2014

Running Low

In the spirit of something or other since I started at the shop we've moved over to shopping twice a week. Once for the main stuff and once for me to buy stuff from other shops and for the dreaded "top up". It's so annoying!

Although it's been surprisingly good for the budget, it feels as though I'm always shopping and we always need things. So we're going back to once a week shopping, other than a trip to the greengrocer for rabbit greens on my way to the charity shop.

The main thing I dislike about it is that we never run out of anything, as soon as we run low on something I add it to the list to buy on Tuesday, or it goes on the main list for Friday, depending on when we run out. Where's the fun in that? It's good for us to have to make do, to use up the bits from the fridge and the things that have been hanging around in the freezer. There's satisfaction in eating something that's been cobbled together and more joy in adding something to the list when we've not had it for a while. 

6 comments:

  1. I shop once a week for 'fresh' produce, and keep a fairly substantial stock cupboard of everything else. Meat goes in to the freezer to stretch it to the end of the week, veg generally lasts the week stored properly. I need to get around to meal planning in advance though. End of the week meals like hash to use up the tail ends of stuff are my favourite meals of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thanks for nipping in. I think we're going to do the same as you from now on. We were shopping little and often in an attempt to keep the menu plan fresh, and it did work, I just don't enjoy all the shopping!

      Hash and things like that, Dan calls them "back to the wall" meals do tend to be some of our comforting favourites.

      Delete
  2. I shop once a week, but would like to try to go to once a fortnight and even once a month. I hate shopping, but also spend a lot more just by walking into the shop. We get our veg, milk eggs and some meat for OH from a local food box scheme. So if I was better at planning I would only have to face the dreaded shop once a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we were paying off our debts we shopped once a month. It made it easy to cope with our small budget of £90, we just kept £2 a week back for bunny veg and sundries.

      I do enjoy going to the supermarket, it's usually quiet and a pleasant atmosphere, I just don't want to do it all that much!

      Delete
  3. I shop once a week as I absolutely hate food shopping for bits and pieces. Why? Because I always buy more than I go in for so spend more than I plan. Weak is the word we're looking for....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know what you mean. We have recently discovered that Dan is a bit of a nightmare for that kind of behaviour, he's unstoppable!

      Delete