Friday, 8 August 2014

Explanobrags

This week I've read a couple of phrases a number of times in different places - life begins at the end of your comfort zone and something along the lines of remember the small things in life because one day you'll realise they're the big things. 

So I wonder which, if either, of these things are true? It doesn't really seem as though they're compatible. Either way they both seem to be giving us a positive message but they really point to the idea that we're focused on the wrong things. They're both explanobrags, and that kind of thing is what I've been seeing all around me this week. the idea that someone is explaining something to me, but what's really happening is bragging about something they've done but I haven't. 

As I've said before, I'm happy with how things are shaping up, that's not to be confused with a lack of ambition, knowledge or awareness of other things. Due to this, over the past few weeks (remember the gossip?) I've noticed that certain people seem to be mistaking my easy going nature as weakness. 

For a little while I've just ignored what's going on as it doesn't matter one jot, but I've noticed that at the shop someone is not necessarily trying to bully me, but they're certainly trying to undermine me to boost themselves. Boost themselves where and to what end I have no clue whatsoever, I don't think I can be undermined as I'm just a till widget with no opinion or power either way, but there you have it. I'm choosing to find it charming and amusing, I can handle it because I just don't care, but it's kind of sweet that I'm a perceived threat (am I eating too many chocolate digestives?). Should I see it happen against anyone else, I can assure you I will not be slow to act. 

6 comments:

  1. I always find it slightly amusing when people try to put me down or undermine me, when I can't possibly imagine what benefit they would get from doing it. Don't get me wrong, it really annoys me too, but eventually when I've calmed down, I see the funny side and just think more fool them, what a waste of effort. I guess as you say they must feel threatened by you in some way, to want to do that in the first place, so you could take it as a compliment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an odd thing isn't it. I can only assume this person is jealous of how attractive, funny, charming and popular I am! *removes tongue from cheek*

      Delete
  2. Well done you, what an outlook to have x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I try to not take myself too seriously, makes things easier for me!

      Delete
  3. As a depression sufferer, largely in remission, but caring for someone dear to me who is in major depression, I find the statements you so aptly call Explanobrags to be trite, smug and offensive. "Smile and the world smiles with you" carrying the undertone of "and if you can't smile, it's your own fault" is one that comes to mind. Well put!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments. Words are powerful and even the smallest of smalltalk can have hidden meaning can't it.

      Delete