Sunday, 31 August 2014

Chaos, Randomness, Chance and Meaning

As mentioned, yesterday we went for a talk about chance, coincidence and probability at the art gallery in Middlesbrough. It was fantastic. I loved the exhibition and hearing David Spiegelhalter talk was really exciting and got me buzzing with energy (if you want to know more you can look at understanding uncertainty).

After coffee and cake the talk continued with a number of the artists with work in the exhibition discussing their process, and chance in art. There was waaaay too much to take in. Thankfully the afternoon was filmed so hopefully it will be available somewhere in the future to enjoy again. 

Anyway, it made me think about things. When I started (the now eaten by the internet) nine-to-five, it was just about what I was doing at 9, 2 and 5 each day. I moved away from that and ended up here just talking about things in general. What yesterday lead me to think was that we can't really know what's going to be significant or meaningful when it happens a lot of the time. Planning and editing attempts to predetermine what's important, and removed the chance to look back and reflect. I'm choosing the snapshot, rather than allowing the patterns to form.

When I do a 9-2-5, although I am choosing what to add, and there is the Hawthorne Effect because I know if I have to write it down I may make my day more interesting than if I didn't have to report it, it is what it is. It's not about what I think someone might want to read, or how I want to represent myself, it's just what happened. In some senses it's a positive, to help me to spend my days living as I want to live and forcing me to do the positive things. That way what I report, what I do and what I want to do are closer to being the same thing. 

So, for a while at least I'm going to be 9-2-5 posting, let's see what it throws up. 

2 comments:

  1. I like your new format but I can understand some nostalgia for the old one. Just make sure you tell your story - people want to read it!

    Lizzie's Daily Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It'll be the same thoughts, just a different format!

      Delete