Thursday, 10 July 2014

Minus

Over the past few months we have added nothing to savings. Not only have we saved nothing we have taken money out of savings to get rid of the credit card balance.

There you go.

When we got out of debt I thought it would feel amazing. It didn't. It didn't feel anything as there was nothing to show for the years of paying it all off. For a really long time I thought we'd never have any debt ever again. But then we wandered into it, all down to the wedding ( it became a very convenient excuse for spending on pretty much anything).

It's easy to sleepwalk into bad habits, but impossible to wander out. It's like losing weight, the slimming is the easy bit, the maintenance is hard. I learned a lot during our "debt free journey" but it's not second nature like it is to some. I wouldn't last five minutes in the country, I don't crave the simple life, and by no means have friends who can be a good influence in this regard.

The learning phase is easy, when you're reading the tips and the goals seem so clear. Being in the middle between choice and necessity is hard. Call it weak willed, pathetic, easily lead or immature, I'm just being honest. I'm not perfect, and this stuff isn't always fun.

8 comments:

  1. I believe It's a bit like being a recovering alcoholic, you are never really cured. It's tough but life ain't easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Maybe, I know I'm making things harder for myself than I need to. I'm tearing myself in many directions and need to just decide on something to do.

      Delete
  2. I agree. I find it very hard to resist buying things sometimes and in our culture companies' marketing strategies can be very persuasive, making you feel like you are somehow lacking something if you can't afford to buy their products.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm learning that we're both emotional spenders!

      Delete
  3. Nobody is perfect, we all just do the best we can. There are some blogs out there that are totally unrealistic for most of us, so you have to sort out what us good for you xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. I need to focus on one thing, I'm all over the place at the minute.

      Delete
  4. I don't think you are weak-willed,pathetic, easily led or immature.To me you sound human. You sound as if you enjoyed the wedding. You spent your money in the way you wanted to at the time, and you're honest, which is more than can be said for some people who have paid off debt and write a blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much.

      It would be easy to not mention this and just talk about the wins. There's no point in creating a mythical blog life of wonderment and frothy coffee, I'd be lying to myself and fooling anyone else.

      Delete