Friday, 18 July 2014

Gossip

The problem with gossip is that you find out a ton of things you don't want to know. This week I have heard a lot of gossip, I didn't really want to hear it, but I was a bit of a captive audience. What I learned from the gossip is that I feel a bit sorry for the subject of all this talk, they are totally in the right to be doing what they are doing, I don't like gossip, and I am almost certainly being gossiped about by these self same people when I'm not around. 

It's quite an eye opener isn't it?

It's been a bit of an odd week, lots has happened but nothing worth talking about. I bought a shoe rack, there's lots of turmoil, I have been amazed at how much people outsource their brains when they think someone will do their mental heavy lifting for them and that marinades are the best thing when you're busy but want to be reasonably healthy. 

I didn't mention it last week but I made a couple of things from Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast cookbook, yes the one I was supposed to be cooking from in March. I made roasted spiced portabella with creamy lemon dressing. Well, I didn't make the lemon dressing, the creamy aspect came form some mashed avocado with lemon - pretty much the same thing. The mushrooms were marinated in garlic, ginger, chilli, garam masala, cumin, lemon juice and oil, cooked in the oven then filled with herby breadcrumbs. I also made tandoori potatoes, new potatoes coated with yoghurt and spices. It wasn't fiddly, but it was a bit time consuming. Just as well it was so delicious. I don't generally go in for having a BBQ, but if I ever do, I will certainly feature both of these yummy items. 

Dan's having a flare up at the minute, so this week we're keeping it very simple, nothing to excite the tummy! 

14 comments:

  1. When I was a teenager I remember coming home and reporting a bit of gossip I had heard on the bus about a lady in the town. I declared that I thought she was doing something wrong. My wise father said "Which is the greater sin - doing it, or gossiping about it? " and I realised that my action was wrong too. Gossip causes SO much harm, especially when it distorts the facts [as it usually does] but it takes a brave woman to interrupt the conversation and say so!! Just realised as I read your post that I meant to buy avocados in Aldi this morning and forgot!! The potatoes sound delicious. Summer blessings x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. The whole incident has left a very sour taste, unlike the potatoes!

      Delete
  2. I agree with you about gossip. I always think 'do as you would be done by';. Unfortunately, not participating doesn't necessarily guarantee that you don't become a victim, but it does make you feel better about yourself than when you join in and make unnecessary judgements about others, based on half truths or ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true. the strange thing is that it was as though by being let in on the gossip I was being welcomed into the clique! I hope it's a flash in the pan.

      Delete
  3. There are 2 types of gossip - speculative - facts or details that are unconfirmed which may or may not be true or factual details which are discussed in an inappropriate manner.
    Gossip can be a bit of harmless fun or nasty and negative.
    When I hear things I never repeat what I don't know isn't fact and when I do know it is fact then I think it's down to one's own moral compass if you tell others and pass it on.
    For instance a few months ago one of my neighbours who are both doctors had their drive widened...a woman over the road said another woman from the road said it was because they were going to start working from home.......which was utter poppycock so I said so and hopefully squashed was essentially fantasy..
    Then from the same silly old woman telling me who at least 2 women in the road had been discussing why I was so fat.....and I thought to myself some will always make 'sensation' up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about people making up sensation, why let facts get in the way of a good story?

      Delete
  4. I stood against the "dog walkers cult" who were gossiping about a certain person. I told them to either report them, confront them or shut up telling everyone they meet as it is slanderous the name calling they were doing.

    They just said it was nothing to do with me and now talk about me as well, awful people grrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't be bothered with gossip, switch off and ignore it and walk away, I can be quite rude! I love the sound of your recipe and may just have to look up a copy of the book, love Indian vegetarian food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you Wendy.

      The book is really good, my copy came via The Book People, so it was a nice price. Many of the recipes need a decent spice rack, but substitutions are offered. Once you have the spices most of the recipes are simple and very easy to follow.

      Delete
  6. We live in a small village and gossip is rife. I do try not to get involved having been on the receiving end of malicious gossip in the past. I love Indian food xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it is in a small place. The last hotel I worked in was terrible for it. Word got around all the other hotels too so nothing stayed quiet for long!

      Delete
  7. I love to listen to gossip but always keep an open mind until I see for myself. I think you can learn a lot about the personality of the gossipers to and NEVER confide in a gossiper unless you want your news all around town. I never pass on gossip.
    Tandoori potatoes sound really tasty
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I always say that to Dan, I don't say anything that I wouldn't want attributed to me further down the line.

      The potatoes were delicious, put it this way, I had planned leftovers for lunch but we didn't quite get there!

      Delete