Wednesday, 2 July 2014

Door Curtain

I bought a big roll of curtain header tape for 49p from the charity shop yesterday in order to make a door curtain for the porch. 

I love our porch, it does an amazing job as a cold/heat trap. But it leads directly to the dining area, so it can let in a big draught. Plus I just like door curtains. Ours isn't going to be thick or bulky, just enough to be a barrier. I'm using the sheet I bought for 99p from the charity shop a few months ago. It's orange so goes well with our decor. 

I decided I'd give the sewing machine a go, to get the job done quickly. after a couple of minutes of sewing I remembered why I hadn't used a sewing machine for nearly 20 years, put the machine away, made a cup of tea and set to hand sewing as I listened to the radio. 

Now I just need some small curtain hooks. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm the same re the sewing machine... Only problem is I'm rubbish at hand sewing as well! Put up a pic of your curtain when you're done - what a great cheap project! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one :-) I will be sure to post a picture (although I think it probably just looks like a sheet hanging up).

      Delete
  2. It takes me an hour to thread the needle on my sewing machine, I either have to wait for my Aunt to come round and do it or get the hand sewing into gear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know hand sewing takes a lot longer but I just think the messing about and frustration from using the machine isn't worth the time "saved". I feel like I have more options when I sew by hand.

      Delete
  3. I feel a comparison with decorating here. I'd much rather paint with a brush rather than a roller which takes so much time rinsing out when finished with and also sends spatters of paint everywhere.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same!

      I've never been able to get on with a roller, I feel as though there's more control with a brush too.

      Delete