Monday, 7 July 2014

Curtains For All Of Us

the destructive force 

As I've mentioned morale is low here at the minute. Even a trip to Shrewsbury on Saturday didn't lighten the mood all that much - other than the wonderful market.  Yesterday got off to a very glum start, so I threw down a challenge to Dan, for us to do three things that would improve the state of our living room. 

The state of my environment really has a great impact on how I feel, as I'm sure it does for most people. So we set about doing a few bits and pieces. The living room is where the rabbits live, as a consequence it's never going to be the nicest room in the house, all the nice stuff is upstairs, where it can't be chewed. Our living room leaves a lot to be desired, we've had no proper floor in there for about three years, with no sign of that changing any time soon. The carpet was chewed by the rabbits, so we took it up and now we have bare concrete. 

The new tv unit is now in place, so Dan set about sorting the cables so they are away from prying teeth and so they are hidden from view as much as possible. We decided on a few simple changes - like removing some pictures and so forth, and I spot cleaned the curtains, then decided to wash them as it was a nice day and the larger pair could be washed and back up before the sun was strongest. 

Can you see what's going to happen here?

a wee bit wonky!

I promise I checked the care label and washed them on the most gentle cycle, but it was clearly too much. Oh dear. 

a wee bit shorter than before!

Our living room is south-west facing, so the sun is very strong during the hottest part of the day, we can't do without a window covering. As the whole window (about 5m) is floor to ceiling it's impossible to find something at a charity shop and pretty difficult to find off the peg. Except for one place. There is a shop where the curtains are 3m long as standard... So on a Sunday afternoon we went to Ikea.

It was great! No rows, no tantrums, just some new curtains. 


6 comments:

  1. I did the same with a dress lol x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm slightly surprised I've never done it before!

      Delete
  2. I must go and get a new curtain for the kitchen. It's useful to know they are so long there, as I need one 2m long and wide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some very nice designs available at the moment, hope you find something to suit.

      Delete
  3. Oh no, I'm FOI g to say the unmentionable here and I must point out that I love all creatures......could the rabbits be moved to another room? I can see they are adorable though and I would probably snuggle them into my bed. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be the sensible thing wouldn't it!

      We did have two living rooms in our old house, one was "nice" and the other was pet friendly, we don't have that here though.

      Delete