Thursday, 5 June 2014

Not About The F Word

I'm not going to talk about how much I laughed and laughed and laughed about the wonderful green news that carrier bags are soon to cost 5p and the other wonderful news that we're bending over backwards to help fracking get going, right under our houses*. I'm not going to do that as we talk politics enough at home. 

I'm not going to talk about my terrible day yesterday, it peaked when The White Rabbit chewed a hole in the living room rug.

Nor am I going to reveal my modest, yet mildly fun garden project. It isn't yet finished as I ran out of materials.

I am going to give the new greengrocers a whirl today on my way to the town, I'm doing another shift at the shop. Just a few hours to get some new stock sorted and out. As I mentioned last week, things have been slipping recently but since then meetings have been had and we are all systems go for change (for the next three weeks at any rate). So much nice to go into a clutter free, clean shop rather than the thing it had become of late. We're all stepping up and taking a bit of responsibility, having that acknowledged and appreciated is going a very long way. Far better than feeling like a pack horse and till widget. It just doesn't take that much to say something positive instead of something negative does it?

I had been warned about my new till buddy, told how useless and unreliable they are (and to be fair, their presence is a little hit and miss). But treating someone like they are useless isn't going to motivate them to work harder and be confident in their actions. That's what we did this week, we worked as a team and it really showed. To see someone look initially confused and then proud when the management thanked them for their good work was brilliant, especially when they're having a hard time getting paid work. It made my day

*Yes I know it doesn't mean my house would fall down, my brother's house is built over a massive hole where salt was extracted in Northwich and a few hundred metres up the road from us in East Lancs were big underground holes where coal was mined.

4 comments:

  1. Your till buddy is blessed to have someone like you alongside, who will not pre-judge but rather encourage and assist to help them become more able.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There appears to be a lot being said in the world of blog regarding the carrier bag issue, but yours is the first post I've seen that mentions fracking. Could it possibly be the case that it's not happening in the areas where other bloggers live so they don't give a tuppenny toss about what's being proposed?
    A kind word goes a long way doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be. Plus patchwork hydraulic shale gas extraction well covers are a bit of a niche market!

      Kindness and a bit of friendliness are so important. Recently at the shop we've had people telling us they bring things to us as we're friendly and appreciative. Someone else said they come in to browse because they know someone will want to have a chat with them, bittersweet that one but made the point for me.

      Delete