Wednesday, 25 June 2014

Hard Worker


The first time I heard about minimalist dressing was years ago in an article about packing for travel. I wasn't going anywhere but read the article anyway. The article told me the best thing to pack in my carry on bag was a sarong because it was a multi-purpose item. 

So when we went away I packed my lovely turtle sarong, bought for me by my housemate when she had a placement in Indonesia back in 2000. I didn't know if it would get any use but thought I'd at least feel like I was going on holiday if I had the proper kit. 

It has headed straight up my list of useful items. On this trip alone it was used as a skirt, pillow/neck rest in the car, bedcover (waaaaay to hot for anything heavier), post-bath wrap, picnic blanket, and a headscarf. Pretty good and almost certainly one of the best gifts ever. 

6 comments:

  1. I have a purple pashmina which was a gift and at the time I couldn't see when I'd wear it but it has proved so useful and surprisingly goes with all sorts of things worn as a stole, a scarf, used as a pillow and like you I have occasionally used it as a bed cover on hot nights when I want something thin. It folds up small and goes with me when I think I might need something extra unlike a cardigan which would take up space and crease too. I have never used it as a skirt but can imagine a sarong might be even more useful in this respect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. even though I love the metallic turtles I did wonder if I would ever use a sarong when I first received it. But, over the years I have had a fair bit of use from it. the space saving aspect of it is fantastic too.

      Like you, I have used mine as a stole/ in place of a cardigan when out for the evening. I love using it like that, it always feels so summery and special to do so, rather than just chucking a cardi on.

      Delete
  2. I love sarongs. I have some in a slippy material that are cool, diaphanous and make me feel like an elf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of sarongs too. You just can't beat them for the beach or pool, especially if you want a quick cover up to go to the shops or bar. So light and easy to pack. Mine always come with me, but I mainly use them as a halter necked dress or skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing them used as a halterneck. They just look so effortlessly gorgeous. I know people say that about maxi dresses, but I do not like them at all (I know I'm in the minority there).

      Delete