Wednesday, 21 May 2014

What I Learned From Project 333

I've read a lot about this, I really enjoy minimalism blogs, especially Be More With Less. Until recently I owned 48 items of clothing so Project 333 wasn't really a challenge. 

Reading everyone's stories gives me loads of food for thought and the biggest benefit of looking at all the capsules was to show me how to bring all the looks together. I can't go as far as saying I needed more stuff, but I certainly wanted it. Dan certainly wanted me to have something to stop the endless discussions about it whenever we were going somewhere!

My issue (and yes, I'm aware it's all in my head) is that we do different stuff - walking, home based stuff, bodding around towns and cities, messing about in the country, going to the theatre, increasingly these family meals and things, parties, nights out. I could wear my gardening clothes for everything but I don't think I'd want to. 

The thing is, I spent most of my twenties and early 30s looking a bit of a mess. I was overweight and unfit, cut my own hair (and not in that lovely delightful way a lot of people can manage), we didn't have much money for clothing or looking nice and I resented spending the money when I needed to. So I pretty much wore jeans a t-shirts the whole time. How dull. There was a very brief period around the great year of 2007 where everything came together then slid again. By this year, other than my hair which is looked after by the wonderful Miss Emma, how I felt and how I looked were very different. 

So I changed and now things are different.

I've been shopping for bits and bobs over the past few months and my wardrobe is FULL. Literally full, I can't fit anything else in it, there is room on the shoe rack for the two pairs of shoes I'd like (a pair of shoes has gone to the charity shop this week after giving me not one, but 7 blisters after a very short walk). For once, I'm happy to have more. 

All I need to do now is end the day wearing the accessories I start off with. I love bangles but they do my head in!

8 comments:

  1. I can identify with your post as I spent more than 15 years just buying something that would fit and that I looked acceptable in, and using my husband's clippers to cut my hair. I've had around 4 years of feeling much better ,as I lost a lot of weight, and I've enjoyed buying clothes -most were secondhand, but I could at least choose what I wanted, rather than being grateful I'd found something to fit my meagre budget.
    That is a lot of blisters - ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I still buy a lot of sale and second hand stuff, but you're right feeling free to choose is a great thing.

      Despite the blisters my feet don't hurt, oddly. I'm back in my Tevas now so all is well!

      Delete
  2. I agree about the accessories. I start off wearing them, but more often than not get sick of them clanking around or making my neck itch so off they come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So relieved to hear it's not just me!

      Delete
  3. I with you on the bangles front, I put them on, take them off, put them on....... I would love to be able to have a minimalist wardrobe, but it's never going to work xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, they look great as long as I don't do anything, but as soon as I eat, drink, write, sew or anything else they're just in the way.

      Delete
  4. I cannot 'do' jewellery at all. I fiddle with rings and necklaces and bangles feel like I'm chained up so it's no bling for me most of the time.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't even thought about rings. I don't know if you have seen the tv show "Gogglebox", one of the ladies on it wears a ton of rings. They're amazing and distracting in equal measure!

      I wear my wedding ring most of the time but sometimes I have to take it off as I hit it with my needle, yuck!

      Delete