Tuesday, 6 May 2014

The Last Patch

Thanks for all the well wishes for Big Grey. She's been at home for over 12 hours now and is behaving as she should, so things are probably going to be fine. 

We did a small amount of very windy gardening yesterday. I dealt with the plants I bought from the market the other day which helped to fill out the main bed, hopefully they will hide lots of the remaining bare soil. Now I am left with this


 I know the sweetpeas can't stay in that trough, it's a temporary area!

This is the are vacated by the cotoneaster, quite a decent space, around 6ft wide by 5 1/2ft deep. We planted a fair few bulbs in there last year which is a good start and I planted the sambuca plant in there last week. At the very front of the bed are a couple of heuchera but then there's this big bare patch - well, bare other than the huge amount of roots both on the surface and underneath. In pots near the garage I have a couple of depressed looking fuschia so they'll slot in. Other than that, the patch is my oyster. It's looking like it's going to be mainly pinky purple so I'm going to have a look around at what else I can find. I think Father has some purple heuchera. I think some verbena could be good too. 

So far the vast majority of our gardening has been a bit of a rush job where we've just stuck stuff in where there's space. It's nice to have a little bare patch to start from scratch - even if the plants are all donated. 

4 comments:

  1. I often move things round in our garden as sometimes they outgrow their space or just don't thrive. It's fun starting from scratch though and trying different things for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to the time where the gardening is less of the getting things into shape and more growing things to look nice. We still have a lot of stuff to hack through!

      Delete
  2. You're right, it's lovely to have a little patch to grow in from scratch. It's shaping up to be really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm still not spending a ton of time out there, but it's becoming more fun and more settled into my routine.

      Delete