Sunday, 4 May 2014

Please Help Me Help Myself!

We went to Carlisle yesterday, would you believe there was a Pirelli car rally! There were loads of old rally cars, right in the city centre ready to start the race! It was brilliant. 

Anyway, there was also a vintage fair, we didn't know until we arrived but there it was, at the Sands Centre which was where we parked. After we'd tramped around the shops, had a rest in the garden of Tullie house and a walk around Bitts Park we went to the fair. 

This is where help is needed. I bought a dress, got it home, washed it and when I hung it up to dry noticed a tear in the seam. It's where someone had cut out the care label. I should be able to mend it but how? The fabric is cotton/polycotton but very lightweight and the fabric is slightly frayed, I don't want to do too much trial and error with it for fear of making it worse.

The internet has offered me three solutions - 

1. running stitch to gather the fabric up as carefully as possible then over stitch

2. use fusible webbing

3. both 

I'm tempted to go for both as I guess the webbing would stop any further fraying so I could then sew it. I know it's hard with no photo but what would you do?

7 comments:

  1. A photo would help. Frayed material is very difficult to sew back together. Is it a tear in the fabric? Is the tear where the sewing in the seam should be? Is there some fabric missing? With number 1 it's bound to fray again. I would agree with both.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, I'll see if I can get a good picture.

      Delete


    2. the tear was a tear is the seam where the sewing should be but it has frayed since then. I couldn't get a decent picture as it's pitch black here so I just went for it. Outcome - good not great! Thanks Mum, your input was very welcome.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could help, but sadly I don't have a clue... I hope someone else leaves a more helpful comment for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both sounds like the safest way to go. The problem with lightweight material is finding something substantial to sew into. Is there any way of taking the garment in a little at the seam to get rid of the damaged bit? I'm guessing not, but I thought I'd just ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did think about that but it is a perfect fit. Now I look at it again, the repair isn't too bad, you're right, finding something to sew into was key. Thanks for your help.

      Delete