Friday, 23 May 2014

No Spend Weekend

Much as I would love to nip across to the Mend-A-Hose Jungle this weekend to watch Castleford v Widnes I can't, so we are at home. When I say "at home" that's what I mean, we must avoid anything that's not totally free. There is no cash left. My mum has even surprised us with tickets for the Challenge Cup game against Keighley next month.

The seeds surprised us all by sprouting so now I have to move them from their teeny pot to somewhere so they can actually grow. Especially the lettuce, there are hundreds of them! I think there are about 8 tiny tomato plants, so that's better than nothing. If we get one tomato I'll be happy, it'll be more than we get from the onions. I am slightly distressed that everyone else seems to be talking about putting their tomatoes outside "soon", mine have been outside for weeks *oops*.

So I've been looking around at the dozens of jobs to do, if the rain holds off, and it's a big if, we'll paint the garage door. We bought the paint about 2 years ago and there it still sits. The woodwork in the spare room and landing isn't finished, I have the paint, I could finish that. When we moved in the entire house was magnolia - that is not an exaggeration. We are now down to the spare room ceiling and a strip of wood above the door at the top of the stairs, so much better. 

Dan wants to take the lawn to the tip, our local recycling centre closed down very early into the cuts, so now it takes about an hour round trip, I think we'll need to go twice, not to mention the queue as I should imagine the rest of the town will be there too! We'll probably stop off at Granny's Bay for a look out to see and across to Southport if there's enough space to pull over. I won't take my purse so I can't buy an ice lolly. 

Then there's quilting, an afternoon nap, plenty of cups of tea, a packet of Tunnock's teacakes. There are sections of The Desire Map to fill in, football is on the telly (Come On Fleetwood Town!), that should leave time for daydreaming. Doesn't sound too bad. 

10 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat. That month end feeling. I've got enough money left for the groceries next week, but nothing much else. Have a good weekend. I hope you get lots of things done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that sounds familiar. Hope you enjoy your weekend too, whatever you get up to.

      Delete
  2. Why not just stack the turves in the corner of the garden upside down. They'll rot away quite happily. We try hard not to succumb to the ice-cream stand at Granny's Bay. We inevitably do though, DH with a cone and me with a Fiesta. Mint or chocolate? Great decisions.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum. We're keeping some of it, as much as will fit into the free section of compost area. At the minute it's taking up part of the border and patio area too, so I'd like to get rid of some.

      I like a Fiesta too! Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  3. No spend weekends can be wonderful things. It sounds as though you have lots of good things lined up, I do hope you have a lovely time. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's nice to be at home for a change. Hope you find time for fun this weekend.

      Delete
  4. I was also going to suggest composting the turf but Mum got there first. I also have tomatoes outside (only two plants) although they were started in the greenhouse (by dad) and have one truss of flowers so far.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have done two trips to the tip (we had stuff other than the turf) but there are still two big piles of turf. I've stacked them all upside down and will just leave them to do their thing. The compost area is full now, two piles of turf and one of general stuff.

      Good luck with your tomatoes. I'm sure I'll go on at great length about the success or failure of mine. Have a good weekend.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like a lovely weekend to me. I sometimes think if you've no money you're more imaginative and get more done, well I do anyway! Am in the same boat as you til Monday, not a bean to spend so i'll be at home catching up and keeping it cheap. Not sure I'll be as productive as you though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, hope your weekend goes well too.

      I agree with you, we do tend to use our imagination when there's no cash to spend. It used to be that we thought it would be work, work, work all the time and that put us off weekends like this. But now we have the balance of making sure we have something nice for tea, maybe a little treat and plenty of fun breaks. It makes the work seem more enjoyable too.

      Delete