Friday, 9 May 2014

An Unusual Day

I'm getting ready to go away!

I have never spent more than 14 hours outside this house and haven't spent a night away from home for over 5 years. It feels as though I've been talking about it forever, now it's finally here. 

For half fun-half serious reasons there are bright orange sticky notes all over the place to point out the important stuff to Dan's mum who is coming to keep an eye on the buns. As it's a special occasion we've even indulged her love of Meerkats in the form of a 3D puzzle, and left a trifle in the fridge. 

In my mind this weekend was going to be gorgeously sunny. However, the lashing rain woke me up last night and the weather forecast is not all that great. Oh well, red mac to the rescue! There seems to be so much to do, I have to do the usual Friday housework and do a bit of cooking, there's some stuff to use up and I want to have something ready for us to eat when we get home - it would be just too tempting to grab a takeaway or something. 

Then I need to decide what to pack, I've narrowed it down to two things. My bag is small so the clothing needs to be comfy, lightweight, made of something that won't crease and that looks nice. I assume going away gets easier the more you do it! We didn't even have a make up or toiletries bag. I treated myself to a £3 make up bag last month and everything else is having to go into the bag Dan's laptop charger came in. Dan has loads of info and maps on his phone, I have water and not-too-unhealthy snacks for the journey. I've even read up on how to use an Oyster Card so I don't look daft when I try it for the first time. Ha! 

I really would have liked to get a boat across the river, but sadly there won't be enough time. I have made a mental note that we must get the Fleetwood to Knott End ferry this year. Dan and I have never been on a boat together and it's become a thing between us, a must do. 

All this stuff, and yet all I want to do is finish sanding my sewing box, and go to watch widnes v Wakefield Trinity Wildcats tonight of course. Widnes update, still 5th in the table after a narrow victory away to Hull KR on Sunday. Still no sign of Joe Mellor but Kevin "The Kingpin" Brown is showing why he's our fearless leader. Keep it up boys. 

8 comments:

  1. I hope you have a really super time while you're away. If you get a chance the cable cars over the Thames to and from the O2 is worth a ride and is quite inexpensive. Only £3 or so last time I went, if you don't suffer from vertigo that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I have been looking at the cable car as we're staying in Greenwich. Only trouble is we'd have to do it on Sunday and whether I could cope with that the morning after a stag do I don't know!

      Delete
  2. Bon voyage.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a wonderful time
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete