Monday, 26 May 2014

A Different View

The no-spend weekend was really a slight spend weekend as we had to buy a birthday gift for my mum, but of course that was already in the budget. 

We decided to ignore the rain that was obviously going to arrive and walked to Lytham. We took a different route to the beach, giving us time to admire the fishermen's cottages and some other very nice houses and lots of nice gardens - the smell of lilac was everywhere. We went past the front of the Royal LSA golf course and reminisced about The Open in 2012 then down to the church where a Peregrine has been spotted going about business. Then onto the green where we became those people we always see when we go past in the car.

The benefit of walking along the grass rather than heading over the dunes straight to the beach is the many wonderful dogs to enjoy, pat and be sniffed by. I love dogs, but don't have one as a pet so it's nice to see so many. A brief stop at Granny's Bay (no icecream for me) then along the final stretch of the prom to Lytham, the tide was out so there were loads of bird to be spotted, plus sea smell. At Fairhaven Lake we saw swans with cygnets and geese with loads of teeny tinies sunbathing next to the Lancaster Bomber. Oh and the swan in the weird rock garden thing on the prom is sitting on a nest, it's right near the path so it's there for all to see.

In order to look for a gift for my mum we went into the shops we wouldn't usually visit because we assume there would be nothing for us. Sadly, there were lots of beautiful things, luckily we only had money for a card a pressie. It was fun to see another side of the town, rather than just nipping in to our usual places. I took advantage of the tester pots of hand and nail cream too, very luxurious.

Recently I've been taking a different route into the town when I go to the charity shop, down the main road and through the park rather than winding through the back streets, I've missed more changes. At the top of the crescent, right on the railway bridge is the one thing I've always thought the town lacked - a greengrocer! Hooray! I don't know how long it's been there, but it must be very very new as I'm sure I've walked past in the last couple of weeks. But there it is, another thing to enhance the town/ my life. It's a teeny bit out of the way but there is some street parking outside, I really hope it does well. I'm going to try it at the start of next month, fingers and toes crossed. 

I even left my camera at home, all the better for seeing everything rather than just things that would make a nice picture. I feel refreshed for seeing things in a new way, and we didn't get wet.

8 comments:

  1. Hope shopping with the green grocer is a success. You had a good walk - there's plenty to see.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was loads going on, and it wasn't even that busy!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've had a good weekend. We have a great green grocer's up the road. It used to be run by a couple of guys who now own another shop on the street that I often frequent. (They sell plants amongst other things!) They even gave me a few free sweetcorn plants the other day, which was super kind of them. They're really nice. The girls behind the counter now are lovely and always very friendly so I try to shop there as much as I can. It's good value too which helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, freebies, what a bonus. I'm hoping to get into a routine of nipping in there so maybe I can get to know people when I'm in there - not for freebies, just to get to know people.

      this shop is teeny tiny, with a couple of things out on the street so I have no idea what they'll stock (it wasn't open when we went past on Sunday). Dan tells me they have another branch in Blackpool and in his words "if they can keep a shop open in that part of town they must be good"!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful walk. You are so lucky to have a green grocers. I hope they stay. We have not got any. And the only ones are a car ride away.So not practical.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not holding my breath that it will stay but I live in hope. The town is only small and there's already a small Tesco, a Sainsburys, M&S Simply Food and Aldi, that's a lot of competition.

      Delete
  4. We've had a strangely parallel weekend! I relate to your comment about a fresh eye as well, it's funny what we miss when we see it all the time isn't it? Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a different pace can make such a difference. Enjoy your week - only fou days until another weekend!

      Delete