Monday, 14 April 2014

Small Step Gardening

My super long weekend was cut short. I thought Dan was off today too but sadly not. 

As you know I'm not much of a gardener but I do want to do more, so this weekend we did a bit. We also went to the library and I checked out a ton of books, I now have the start of a garden notebook. Between that and Dan asking a man at the garden centre about soil I think I learned more this weekend than in the whole of the rest of my life about growing things. 

It's very small and humble so don't laugh. We started off with this amazing award winning lawn and by the end of the day we had a hole, a big pile of stones and a lot of old lawn that we didn't know what to do with. 




Then we had a day out in Cockermouth. Then we cleaned and tidied the garage and watched Catalan v Widnes on the telly. 

Then we did some more digging and planted some onions, herbs and strawberries. It might be right, it might be wrong but as the man at the garden centre said - plants want to grow so don't worry too much.

And now for the most underwhelming "after" pictures of all time - 



The empty bit at the back will be filled with as yet unknown veg that Father has for me , I think it's more salad stuff. The small black pot at the front of the final picture has lettuce in it too. I also found some tomato seeds when we tidied the garage so I'll sow them today and stash them in Dan's dressing room as it gets the sun all day. It will be a bonus if they grow as I don't know how long they've been there, they were a Secret Santa gift but I can't remember if it was last year or the year before. 

The troughs are just to protect the coriander until we can get something more suitable to use as a windbreak. Everyone has suggested a wigwam of something in the middle but I'm worried it would fly off, it gets pretty windy here. It is small and very brown but I am pleased that we actually got out there and did it. We all have to start somewhere don't we?






4 comments:

  1. Exactly. Looks like you've made a good start to me. We used to put old turf grass facing down in our compost bin and it eventually breaks down to make compost. I'm not sure everyone would do this, but it seemed a waste to just throw it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea, I'll try that.

      I wasn't going to publish this post as after being away from the internet for four days it all seems a bit daft. But then I thought if nothing else it's a record for me. Maybe a record of a great success or a folly, either way it's fun.

      Delete
  2. Well done for making a start and good luck with the growing. You'll soon have your own compost I'm sure to help enrich the soil. I'm sure your tomato seed will grow. We've planted 'I don't know how old' seed before with success.
    We've eaten our corn (that has been in the freezer) for tea and also our rhubarb in a crumble. (Rhubarb's dead easy to grow.)
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum.

      Everything just seems to have come together this year. Usually when we think about gardening it's the wrong time of year or we think of something else to do. This year as Father had given us plants, we had seeds and plenty of time for digging the bed, it just seemed right.

      It turns out even our tiny library has a ton of really nice books about gardening for people like me who know nothing more than the garden is the bit of the house that's outside!

      Delete