Saturday, 26 April 2014

How Do Belts Work?

A regular customer in the charity shop has caught my eye - not for the usual reasons. I call her "Elegant Lady", she always looks amazing. Her clothes aren't fancy or posh brands but she always looks very well put together, even when it's just jeans, t-shirt and pumps. She just has that certain something.

I do not have that.

I am aware, however, that to look a bit more pulled together belts would be a good idea. Here is my thing. How do you stop the end of the belt flapping about when there are no belt loops on your skirt? I don't know. How does that work? I know that if I wore a belt I'd end up looking like I had a side tail. I have an elasticated belt that fastens with a clip so there is no flap at all but I can't seem to find any more like that, well other than some that resemble a weight lifting belt or some kind of corset. 

I have narrowed the belt flap solutions down to - cutting the belt, sticking the flap with some double sided tape, folding the flap in an exciting fashion, adding some kind of decorative clip to hold the flap to the main bit of the belt. Or just use some string.

8 comments:

  1. Belts look elegant if you have a waist and to some extent small boobs... does elegant lady have a boyish figure?
    You need a smaller belt if there is flapping going on.
    My belt wearing days have sadly long gone as have all my belts...scarves can be used as an alternative tied at the side and can look very good especially with jeans..


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your help.

      I might try to make one from a scarf, that's a great idea.

      Elegant Lady does not have a boyish figure, she's kind of curvy, not slim by any means. I'll look for a smaller belt, maybe I need to look in a shop for teenagers, my waist is small and every belt I try on is waaaaay too long!

      Delete
  2. I envy you your waist!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good for hoola-hooping, not as good for trouser wearing!

      Delete
  3. I also envy your waist as I have neither a waist or hips, in a very boyish (non elegant) manner. To fit my waist I tend to have wings of material flapping about my hips. It can be a tad annoying when you're trying to 'do' smart. I'm glad you asked the belt question as I've wondered the same. Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's not just me who wonders about this kind of thing!

      I'm the opposite way, to have something fit over my hips I have to have gigantic waist. I've pretty much given up on trousers and just go for flared skirts. Maybe I should just go for braces instead of a belt...

      Delete
  4. I have the same problem and always buy children's belts. That way I don't get the annoying flappy bit cos there's not much extra left to flap in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the way I'm going to go too I think, should be fun trying them on!

      Delete