Sunday, 9 March 2014

River Cottage Everyday, Day Five

Quick update. Day five of cooking from River Cottage Veg Everyday and I've made... pearl barley broth. That's it! I made that on Wednesday we had it again on Thursday and I have cooked nothing since. So it's not going very well. It's a good lesson though as I now know that no matter how amazing the food sounds, I just don't want to think about cooking at the weekend. 

I went to the market on Thursday and bought a veg black pudding from the black pudding stall. On Thursday night we had some of that to top the broth, on Friday I cooked the rest with some onions and mushrooms and we had it as a gigantic sandwich. It was delicious. This weekend has been far to enjoyable to be in the house cooking so I haven't. Yesterday we ended up in Grange over Sands and we didn't have anything to eat when we came home. Today we had another walk, this time we didn't get any further than Cleveleys but we had a good wander. Then it was time for Blackburn v Burnley and a spot of gardening. As Burnley came out on top for the first time in 35 years Dan was far too busy being happy to think about something as functional as sesame cauliflower. Tonight we're having chilli from the freezer. I'll be back on with the cookbook tomorrow, it might turn into a ten day experiment rather than a week, never to worry.

What I now know is that before the weekend begins I need to either have all the ingredients prepared and ready to go, have a quick and easy something or other ready and waiting or have something in the freeze for a no fuss ready meal. I thought I wanted to like cooking but I don't so I'm not going to stress about it any more.    

6 comments:

  1. I do confess that I scrolled down the page because I thought you'd cooked pearl barley broth before - and you had. I agree with you about not wanting to cook when you don't want to. That's why I sometimes cook enough for 2 days plus.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually do that too, it's nice to have a rest at the weekend. Or Dan cooks one of his lovely pasta bakes or pizza. I'll never be a domestic goddess!

      Delete
  2. Whereabouts is the market that you got your veggie black pudding from? I used to get one from my local Booths but they've stopped stocking it, and I haven't found one anywhere else.
    I hate cooking at the weekends, and try to have a cooking session on Fridays so I just need to reheat things on Saturday and Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a "Lancashire Market" that comes to St Anne's once a month. I don't know where else it goes though sorry. The Visit Lancashire site might tell you if it comes near you.

      I used to buy ours from Booths and was very disappointed when they stopped stocking it. It's a lot more expensive from the market £2.20 each or 3 for £6 but it's worth it for a treat.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for this. There's one on a Sunday at Hoghton Tower which is a bit closer, but I suspect will be busier. I like St Annes so could combine a mosey around the charity shops with some sea air and buying veggie black puddings.Now I just need the car to pass its MOT at the end of the month so I can get there!

      Delete
    3. Oooh, the MOT, we had the car serviced yesterday, not too bad but we will need brake pads soon apparently.

      I've never been to Hoghton Tower, hopefully we'll get up there at some point this year, Dan never seems all that excited about going when I mention it. Hope you have some luck finding v pud there!

      Delete