Thursday, 13 March 2014

More Cooking...

Meal 4, Wednesday was peppers stuffed with beans. It's supposed to be chillies stuffed with beans but I couldn't find any large chillies, to be honest I didn't actually look and I had a reduced family pack of peppers already. 

The prep for this was marginally more faff than on previous nights and a bit of washing up was created, but when I say faff it went from zero on the other nights to mildly detectable. I also ended up with all the worksurfaces covered in water, not quite sure how that happened. Anyway. the main source of fiddling was removing the skins from the peppers. I did the grilling until charred thing but but had some difficulty getting the skins off, so I didn't bother. If life is too short to stuff a mushroom then I don't really know what to say about peeling a pepper! I know it's possible to do something with a bowl and some clingfilm, but I don't buy clingfilm so that was out of the question. 

Regardless, I soldiered on. The recipe itself was simple to follow. More onion and garlic, grate a few tomatoes into the pan add the beans, spices and fresh coriander, stuff the peppers and bung in the oven. 

The verdict - pretty, prettay, prettay good (said in Larry David voice, I'm going normcore). As suggested by Hugh in the book we had this with salad, another departure for me as I am usually a salad dodger. Just a simple mix of lettuce, red cabbage, tomatoes and carrot with a little bit of French dressing - another new thing for me, I'm being very brave! The fresh coriander really makes the filling very zingy and was the thing that made it for me. The grated tomatoes work well to coat the beans and carry the paprika and cumin flavours - using fresh tomatoes made it feel very light and had none of the acidity that sometimes comes with tinned. The flavours worked really well together, it was a good mid week meal, again made with things we'd generally have in anyway so no special ingredients required.   

I will certainly make it again and I know we'll both be very happy to see it appear on the menu plan when I do. I can picture us now eating this in the garden on a nice summer evening. I am learning from this week that neither chefs nor food critics need fear for their jobs!

4 comments:

  1. sounds lovely. i must admit i seem to have lost my salad mojo these last few months. think it might have been the weather. need to get back to them asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely, it looked very nice too, not that I ever cook for anyone other than Dan if I ever did I'd be tempted to do something like this as part of the meal. It would be great for my brother as he's vegan and doesn't like mushrooms - they seem to crop up in everything. Hugh suggested a blob of mayo and although I don't eat it I can see how it would work.

      It's hard to be excited by watery old salad when it's watery outside. I didn't mind this one as the carrots and cabbage made it feel quite seasonal and balanced the peppers. I doubt I'll ever be a great embracer of salad though.

      Delete
  2. Sounds gorgeous. I will try the fresh toms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to hear your verdict if you give it a go.

      Delete