Friday, 28 March 2014

Four Years

Four years ago yesterday three men came, packed up all our belongings and moved us across the county, from a big Edwardian terrace, to a sugarlump.

When we first bought our house in East Lancs it was ideal, the neighbours were fine, the house needed a ton of work but was great, the area was suitable and everything was grand. Sad to say I couldn't say the same about the place when we left. Our final morning at the house involved Dan, the most placid man in the world, having an argument in the street with a near naked neighbour, our removal guys offering to superglue his wiper blades to his car, another neighbour refusing to get out of bed to move their car so our van could park and thus causing a massive traffic jam up and down the main road. 

"So why are you moving?" asked one of the cheeky removal men. 

Four years ago I had only been to this town twice, I had never made a quilt, never prepared tofu, never eaten samphire, never seen a rabbit on a dune or an old man on a scooter. Never spent a day in the small towns surrounding where we used to live, never been to a book launch, for that matter never featured in a book. never realised how much of a pain it is to remove magnolia paint from every single painted surface of the entire house, never grown a strawberry.

I have still never been up Blackpool Tower. 

I should really stop calling this our new house.

Due to the success of the scarf and the bag, I wondered what else I might be able to make and wear. So I attempted a ruffle necklace, I was promised it was very easy. It was! A long thin strip of fabric, folded in half with a chain tucked into the fold. Running stitch to keep the chain in place, ruffle up to the desired rufflyness and secured. That's it. I added a couple of beads, just for the sake of it. 


12 comments:

  1. I think I've only been up the tower about 3 or 4 times in my life. I can go up for 'free' now as I have a Merlin Annual Pass which I use primarily for dancing in the ballroom. I thought I'd better use it for the other attractions so I've visited the Dungeons, Circus and Waxworks. I've yet to view the Sea Life Centre.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mum, the passes are great aren't they, especially when the locals discount is available. I keep saying I'll go up the tower, I've only been into the tower buildings twice (beautiful). The thing is, through work Dan's up and down there like I don't know what as he always takes visitors on the grand tour. It's old news to him!

      Delete
  2. Very pretty - did you have the chain already? or did you buy it for the project?

    I have never been up Blackpool Tower. But I did ride the Pepsi Max [just the once. It improved my praying enormously!]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already owned the chain so it was another no-cost project, the chain was just lying around doing nothing.

      You were very brave to go on that ride in my opinion, Dan's mum hasn't recovered from going on it and that was years ago!

      Delete
  3. I've lived a short hop away from Blackpool since 1976 and I still haven't been up the Tower! Both times I've moved since I've been married it has been because of neighbours and a change in the area - I really hope it doesn't happen again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, or at least quiet and tidy neighbours are so important if you live within shouting distance of them. It took me a long time to adjust to being here as it's so quiet!

      Delete
  4. Love the necklace. When we moved to our current house we had an argument with a neighbour on the first day. Things have settled now, but it took me a good few years to feel comfortable living here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wasn't sure about it but I wore it out today and it felt good.

      Glad to hear things have settled with your neighbour, it's such a balancing act.

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry to learn you've had to move because of neighbours. I've always said neighbours are everything, the house is truly second. Our wonderful neighbours moved in the day I gave birth to our son. That son is 30 years old now! They are getting on a bit now, he is 87 years, she is 95 years. I dread them not being here anymore.
    Best wishes,
    Angela (Devon)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's so lovely you've lived with the same neighbours the whole time. The house next door is now a rental but prior to that the owner had lived in the house since it was first built in 1968. His daughter invited us in to have a look around before they had it modernised, it was amazing to see how he's maintained it in the original state (I wish we could have just swapped houses!)

      I was really concerned when the house became a rental, thankfully the current family are very nice.

      Delete
  6. Having seen a picture of your quilts it's hard to believe four years ago you'd never made one. They look brilliant.
    I'm not quite through with saying new house yet although it's not been so long for us, almost 5 months now! I just feel like I want to wear a badge saying 'I'm a local, not a holiday maker' It still feels very surreal being here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks!

      You'd want to take that locals badge off during the season, otherwise you risk feeling like a walking tourist information centre!

      Can't believe it's 5 months already, hope you're still enjoying the newness of everything

      Delete