Thursday, 27 March 2014

Do instead of Buy, Part Two

For the past few days, since looking at my spring and summer clothes I've been thinking about a new bag. I have a beach bag but the straps are not great so it's really uncomfortable on my shoulder as soon as there's any weight in it at all. My attention had been drawn to these Jenn Ski tote bags, I love these designs and used the Mod Century range for Dan's sofa quilt. But then I thought, "I have Jenn Ski fabric, could I make a tote bag?" Answer, yes I think so. 

I've never made a bag before believe it or not, so I have made a part practice run part I'm going to use this one bag. Again, were I the owner of a sewing machine this would have taken about an hour but I don't so it didn't. I have a ton of canvas bags but I tend to find that the straps are too long or too short for me. I chopped the straps off one of these bags and used the bag bit as a lining/pattern then stitched up some of the very large piece of zig zag fabric I bought from Abakhan and here we are.

the eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed I sewed the straps on the wrong way!


It's not quite finished on this picture, I've since used some fusible webbing to stick the straps together and I just need to do a bit of additional stitching where the handles meet the body of the bag for strength. 


It's hard to know if I like it or not. I'm not used to making plain things like this so I'm living with the uncertainty. I'm sure I'll get used to it. If I get bored I can turn it inside out and display a happy image! 


4 comments:

  1. Loving the zig zag/chevron fabric. Well done for making it without a sewing machine. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The fabric is lovely to use, especially considering how inexpensive it was.

      Delete
  2. Very jazzy - it is a beach bag so the fabric is very suitable. Just need a deck chair to match now!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, that's a good idea, maybe a knitted hanky for my head too!

      thanks Mum.

      Delete