Thursday, 6 February 2014

The Junk Drawer

More mundane fun. 

I like to think I'm reasonably tidy and organised these days, and I know I've spoken of my junk drawer before - the time I trapped £20 inside, but I'm at it again. It was beyond a joke. 




When I first got myself and the house (our old house) organised I didn't have a junk drawer, everything had a place, but I decided here it might be nice to have a rummage place to stash stuff. Not to mention the fact that the toolbox etc lives in the garage and occasionally it's just too much faff to go out there just to return one item. 

The drawer is small, measuring 42 x 31.5 x 8cm. But it still holds a lot of stuff. Stuff including 2 RLWC 2013 tickets, 15 batteries, a clock needing a battery but not one of the 15 I have, 4 receipts (less than I thought there would be), 3 appointment cards for my haircut, but not the one for my next appointment, 7 expired vouchers, 18 keys, 2 torches, a 12 year old tin of vaseline (we've lived here for just under 4 years), 5 postcards, 6 pens, 5p, 2 foreign coins (from places we've never visited), 6 buttons and 5 glasses cleaning cloths. 



It's now tidier but I still managed to add yet another calculator, a coin, a pair of scissors and a tape measure to the contents. I thought I could do without a junk drawer but really I just need to be more strict with paper.

12 comments:

  1. I think a junk drawer sounds a great idea it would be neater than the flat surface syndrome I seem to suffer with here. At least it would all be out of sight - am off to clear a drawer for just such a purpose now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be useful for all those bits and bobs that are in frequent use but don't necessarily have a place to live full time. I used to be terrible for putting things down instead of away so the drawer is good for that as I know it's the first place I should look for stuff.

      Delete
  2. I have a kind of junk drawer containing similar things to you, batteries, matches, cocktail sticks, coasters, sauce sachets! etc. etc. They are great for throwing in things you just don't know what to do with but they do have a way of filling up over time. You've done a fab job of sorting yours out. How long do you think it will be until it fills up again? (Or am I being too cynical?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Of course it will fill up again.

      I walk the line between the enjoyment of a tidy house and loving what Dan calls "snuffing things out". So if I can have a snuffing space budget of my sideboard and the junk drawer I think it's a good balance.

      I don't often have sauce sachets but I do end up with a lot of single servings of jam.

      Delete
    2. I must admit I've got lots of spaces where I squirrel away bits and pieces I don't know what to do with. I think you've got the balance just right. I like that expression 'snuffing space'. Never heard that before.

      Delete
    3. He used to alternate between saying I was "truffling" and "sniffing things out" then changed it to snuffling. I like it because it reminds me of Snufkin from the Moomins.

      Delete
  3. I love your picture it freaked me out on first viewing and I smiled when reading the contents but you have done a great job sorting it out and if you have to have or need or like having a junk drawer then having one on purpose is a good move. Having lived with my families throw everything in junk drawers when growing up I have a real aversion to them in fact I don't mind if my mess is on the outside for all to see as long as I know my drawers and cupboards are as neat and tidy as I can keep them. I will leave something out rather than shove it anywhere so seem to be the opposite of most of my friends. I have a phobia about saying I can't find something like my mum does all the time - she loses everything!! Perhaps I need reverse therapy and should try out a junk drawer LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your approach makes sense. Just shoving things anywhere "for now" is more annoying to me than not putting things away at all.

      I've always been untidy and disorganised so to have everywhere clear and clean now is very important. The junk drawer is like a little release valve so I don't fall back into the idea that if one thing is out of place then I may as well let everything fall into chaos. It's a localised stash and dash location, it's messy but if something's in there I know where it is, nothing gets lost!

      Delete
  4. In our house it's called a treasure drawer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, that makes it sound far more exciting.

      Delete