Monday, 17 February 2014

New Season

you may not recognise this as Southport due to visible sea
Yesterday was the start of the new season for us. Yes, it has come round quickly. Instead of the mooching around the house doing nothing in particular we decided to go to Southport beforehand. It's kind of on the way and we can generally see Southport from our beach. It seems so close and yet so far away. So we went. It was a gorgeous day, we managed to grab some free parking and off we headed. 

We pretty much ran to the beach as I was sure I'd seen water. For those of you who aren't familiar with Southport it's a "well known fact" that the tide is always out. I think last year was the first time I'd ever experienced the tide being in. Amazing. We didn't venture onto the pier as it was a bit windy and I've had enough of that for the time being. So we wandered along and came across an outdoor gym! Lovelygrey had spoken about them a little while ago. I'd never seen one before so I had to have a go, it was brilliant! I wish we had one in LSA, I'd be there all the time. After my workout we had a wander into the town and I got hold of a new pyrex lidded casserole. I wanted one that was small enough for just two servings. Managed to get one at Beales, got to the till and it was 30% off, which made it cheaper than one I'd seen in a charity shop last week. Very happy.

The on to the main event. First game of the season, Widnes v London. This is by no stretch of the imagination a glamour tie. It's kind of the battle of who could care less, so good to get it out of the way first. London are in all manner of trouble, it was their turn to be the club who didn't have a team two weeks ago (a title previously held by Widnes, it's never nice). The weather was amazing and I sat through the first half without needing my coat, it was beautiful. Widnes new boys Danny Tickle, Danny Galea and Paul Johnson featured. I didn't really pay much attention to Johnson but kept thinking "who is that?" and it turned out it was Galea, so he must have done some good work. Danny Tickle was impressive in attack and defence, scoring both a try and 10/11 (I think) conversions. It was fantastic to see Stefan Marsh, Chris Dean and Paddy Flynn back in the team, all getting on the scoresheet. Joe Mellor was a delight as always and captain Kevin Brown scored a hat trick. Final score 64-10. It was a tough game for London but they did show signs of quality, stringing it together for a full game was difficulty, cutting out the penalties will go a long way to stemming the concession of points. No game for Widnes next week, they should have been playing Wigan Warriors but they're in Australia for the World Club Challenge v the Sydney Roosters. It feels good to be back, for now at least. 

2 comments:

  1. Southport? The tide was in? Nah!
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete