Monday, 10 February 2014

Imperfect

spotted at Fairhaven Lake
 A little while ago someone mentioned on their blog that the town I live in looked a bit down at heel. I replied saying we were fine. And the town is ok, it's one of those things, it's a small town with the same issues as other places, it just happens to be at the seaside. 

Dan has a day off today so we decided to stay local, have a walk on the beach and a look around. I even decided to have a poke in some of the charity shops, I had really got out of the habit over the past few years but decided to see how other shops were compared to "mine". We went to my town's more jaunty sister first and I ended up buying a copy of the River Cottage Veg book, it cost a fiver, seems like a good buy. 

We ventured back up into the town as Dan broke his glasses on Friday so is having his eyes tested. He's a dear do at the minute as he needed a suit, we ended up with two suits and just had to not think about the cost too much. Anyway, I think Sarah was right. Visiting the town for the first time it might look a bit depressing, there are many many many charity shops, a discount bakery and discount stores everywhere, plus a sign that a food bank is opening. We also looked round and saw the very nice, but not glamorous, bakery, the really nice pub, the independent department store and the other small businesses that you wouldn't know were there if you only visited the square. 

When it comes down to it, we didn't move there for the shops, we moved there for the one thing that changes but doesn't change, the beach. I say beach rather than sea because there's very rarely any sea to see. I've lived in a city that everyone seems to love because it's just so jaunty. I hated it, far too sterile and one dimensional (it still had the same problems as everywhere else, it was just all outside the walls). 

I think what I concluded is that we see what we want to see and we stop seeing what we don't want to see. I am purposely not seeing the light that doesn't work in the bathroom, the flooring we don't have in the living room, the bathroom in general and the back door I can't unlock. It doesn't mean it's not great, it just means it's real. I also met a fab, slightly eccentric lady at the Sue Ryder shop who gave me the offer I couldn't refuse - buy one get one free on some pillow cases, £1.50 for two cases, loads of fabric for a quilt back or some other thing. I'm happy to be where I am. 



8 comments:

  1. If only more people were like you - content with what they've got and where they are. Sounds like you got a bargain with the pillow cases!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I walk around only seeing kittens and confetti-strewn pathways but I think it's quite easy to think things are better elsewhere so we don't appreciate what we have. It's nice to see the good things we have, even if what we've got is not a lot!

      Delete
  2. I love those pillow cases. I don't think it pays to dwell to much on the negative things in life. You seem to have the right attitude in this regard. Besides, I imagine the beach looks a whole lot different in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look different in the summer, I love it at this time of year though, especially as dogs are allowed on the beach!

      Delete
  3. I like your town and enjoy visiting it in all seasons. There are things about my town that I love, and things that I don't but I've been here for 38 years next month and it's most definitely home. I know from your blog that there are things in my town that you like too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only lived in Lancashire since 2002, but I think it's pretty clear to everyone I love it!

      Delete
  4. I am not sure exactly where you are but it is good when you feel content about a place and what can beat living by the sea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Living at the coast is great, even when it means very windy nights!

      Delete