Wednesday, 26 February 2014

Honesty



Being honest with myself and everyone about my feeling about volunteering turned out to be the best thing. 

I gave myself time to think about what it was I didn't like about it, it's not the manager or the other folk working there, it's not the shop, it's not the customers, it's not the time of day, it's not what it takes from my week. There was nothing I really disliked. It was just different from what I'd done before. When it comes down to it, the fact is I'm not the best at it. I'm ok, but that's good. I don't need to be the best salesman ever I need to be a body behind a till to take payment for things and put them in a bag.

I went in yesterday with no feelings on the matter, not unhappy about it, not full of enthusiasm, just going. Then when I got there I had the feeling of freedom. Telling myself that I didn't have to like it, I didn't even have to be good at it, I just had to do it was great. I stopped taking myself seriously and just got on with it.

Doing the opposite and being happy with my offering being good enough was enough for everyone.

Also, I have spent no money since Saturday (and won't spend anything today) and put £3 in the Q-pot. 

12 comments:

  1. Glad you have found the answer to the problem. I wonder why being the best is what we seem to need to achieve and why good enough is never usually sufficient? I am sure that there must be some satisfaction in knowing that what you do is helping somebody somewhere though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is strange how we sometimes hold ourselves up to a standard that doesn't exist. It's not an all or nothing situation but I was treating it as such. I have a fairly long history with this charity and I see first hand the work it does, sometimes I think I forget the two things are linked.

      Delete
  2. I'm pleased you're feeling a lot better about it. I admire that you take the time out of your week to do it. It's a very positive commitment. Maybe you just needed to take the time to reassess why you were doing it and that was enough. Good luck with it anyway, whatever you decide to do you've made a useful contribution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. You're right, I needed to look at my reasons for going to the shop and my perceptions about my role.

      I think I was a bit arrogant thinking I would waltz in and make my mark on this shop due to my history with the charity. Now I'm looking at this as a new place and a new role of just a shop widget rather than picking up where I left off in the last shop it's removed the pressure that didn't exist anywhere but in my mind.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes just talking things out, or blogging it out, can really help. Maybe you just had a case of overthinking it all.

    I'm glad you're more settled.

    Caroline
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, you've hit the nail on the head. That's exactly what I was doing and getting it out of my head and into the world was all I needed to sort myself out.

      Delete
  4. I am glad that you have settled this in your mind. Isn't it lovely when you have blogger friends to chat to xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really is one of the many benefits of blogging.

      Delete
  5. I have been lucky the volunteering I do, I love. It is so very different from my job but yet requires interpersonal skills I have to use everyday. I was going to contact you to say why don't you have a look at other volunteering opportunities in your area that might better suit your skill set, but so glad you have made a decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.

      Lovely to hear you gave a role that suits you well. I think I would struggle to be clear about what my skillset is at the minute. That's what I'm trying to sort out with my life audit. It's probably also why everything feels clunky and an odd fit.
      There may be another couple of options coming up in the summer. Funnily enough, one of them I found out about after bumping into someone at the shop last week!

      Delete
  6. Yes, it's difficult to adjust sometimes to being one of many rather than one at the top. I found this when I changed my job completely and did struggle. Considering I'd had a pretty top job, feeling a bit inadequate in a mediocre one hit hard. Everything, however mundane, is new and different at first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. I think I can embrace where I am now my ego isn't protecting me from the truth!

      Delete