Monday, 24 February 2014

Failing To Not Shop, Volume 87.

that's a real man, not a prop

We experienced two new and exciting places this weekend. The first was on Friday when we visited Blackpool Catholic Club to watch John Hegley. It was a performance to tie in with Dance Swine Dance at the Grundy Art Gallery. The club was a great venue, everyone was very nice, the drinks flowed, the poetry and songs were great and we had the opportunity to channel our inner guillemot. Fun all round.

The second new, to us, place was in St Anne's itself. This trip started midweek when we'd been to drop a few dozen jigsaws off at the charity shop and took a different route home. "STOP!" I shouted. We reversed down St Andrew's Road South and there it was - The Second Hand Rose. What? A Mid Century furniture shop here in the town, since October and I didn't know? Blimey, I wander through this life with my eyes welded together. The shop is open on Friday and Saturday only, so we had to wait. 

We made the somewhat dubious decision to go in the car even though we were just going for a look. The shop sells small decorative items, some very cool and unusual artwork, bits and bobs of fabric and lighting as well as larger pieces of furniture - there was a wardrobe, armchairs, coffee tables, a dining set and a sofa or two when we were there. I was being very restrained having only bought some fabric when Dan pointed to something towards the back of the shop. It is no longer in the shop, it's in my garage. I'd already taken the legs off by the time I got my phone to take some pictures. 

the previous owner selected the bold colour choice of one layer bluish, one layer pinkish

The very wonderful and friendly owner helped Dan manhandle it into the back of the car (not that easy as the boot is a daft shape) and we were off, thankful for the 20mph speed limit we have in most of the town.

The cabinet is in a very sorry state. Not only has shabby chic been performed unto it, the crime of decoupage has also been committed. Thankfully the person who performed these acts didn't believe in sanding or priming so the paint should come off fairly easily. Unfortunately they didn't scrimp on PVA, so the decoupage poinsettia may prove more of a challenge. I'm very like Larry David when it comes to wood - respecting the wood is all important. If it's in a bad state or it's the only way to save it from the skip then I'm not scared to paint, but if there's no need then why mess with it?


I'll let you know how I get on, I could be gone a while. 

I received nothing other than great service and a new project from the shop for writing this post. Ha!


6 comments:

  1. Ooooh - loving that! Fabulous shape. I must admit I would be tempted to go with paint myself. If you need any inspiration look at these:

    http://www.betterafter.net/

    http://www.designsponge.com/category/before-and-after?showposts=20&furniture=casegoods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the links, I'll have a look in a minute. Thank you for nipping in to say hello.

      Delete
  2. Looks great. Good luck stripping it back. It'll be interesting to see the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, I think "interesting" may well be the word.

      Delete
  3. That piece has good bones, hope the offending flowers come off without causing damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! Good to see you over here.

      It does appear to be a sturdy item which is great. Should there be a problem with the aftermath of removing the flowers I am prepared to paint the interior. Progress is slow!

      Delete