Friday, 7 February 2014

Dealing With Little Bits

More mundane fun.


the scraps had been piled up next to this jar and I still didn't put two and two together


I've started to amass quite a few scraps from quilting and things and they turn up everywhere. I've tried lots of different ways to contain them and none have done the trick. Yesterday I was in the pantry admiring the trolleys yet again when I saw the empty jars sitting there. "Hang on" I thought to myself, so now I have a jar of scraps. Then I thought about it and realised that Dan's Asterix figures live in the jelly bean dispenser, the candles live in a spaghetti jar and I have a memory jar in the spare room full of trinkets - badges, paperweight of Pope John Paul II, keyrings, pictures of Phil Jagielka, wedding favours etc, not to mention food in the pantry and pins stored in jam jars. The answer has been staring me in the face! Why and how have I never thought of it before? It is true, I walk through this life with my glasses off. I think in some sense that's how my house came to be such a tip in the first place, I just stopped seeing what was in front of me. 




In an attempt to keep scraps of paper to a minimum quite a few years ago I started keeping recipes in a photo album. It was a really useful thing for me as I could swap the arrangement round when I felt the need or I could get rid of a card if the recipe wasn't to our liking or whatever. Plus it helped me to feel super organised when I really wasn't. 

Last year or the year before, can't remember which, I swapped the recipe book for a box. This is far better for me as the cards are loose so I can just move whichever card I want to the front and view it easily. I write the recipes on different coloured postcards depending on what type of food it is - basics like sauces, everyday meals, stews and pies or spicy things. It makes it easy to flip through. I use tabs to help me find family favourites so I'm not constantly hunting for the same things time and again. All that to say now we're having a mini shake up of our meals, I'm on the hunt for new ideas so I'll be putting the box to good use finding new ideas to fill my cards. 

This was the productive part of the day. I was feeling good so decided to make some soup, sweep the kitchen and generally tidy up. I started the soup, swept the floor, discovered the kitchen bin was full so started to empty it. The bin bag exploded covering me, the recently swept floor and the soup in bits of uncooked quinoa porridge that was in the bin bag, then I snapped the mop as I was cleaning up. It did not please me!

6 comments:

  1. Oh No! What started off well didn't finish well did it? Do hope today will be a better day right through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The day is me all over, stops me from ever feeling smug!

      Delete
  2. I have days like that too. I really love your recipe card idea. I've been thinking of making a recipe book, but this will save me buying one as I have some index cards somewhere that need using. I think they're all white so I'll have to think of some other way to colour code them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent, glad to have saved you a few quid, I did wonder if it was just too boring to talk about! Hope it works for you.

      Delete
  3. I bought a little box of index cards in a tin from the carboot for 30p, and used them to write down all my daughter's favourite home-cooked meal recipes. She took them to uni with her, and has been eating well, judging my the photos she sends me of meals she has cooked!
    The scraps look pretty in the jar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea to do that for your daughter.

      I think being able to see the scraps will be very useful, looking nice is an added bonus!

      Delete