Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Bad Decisions

I know this won't come as a huge shock to anyone who has been around for a while as I've mentioned the feeling of not feeling settled, I really don't like working at the charity shop. 

But, it's good for me to do it, to meet people, have a change of scenery, do something different blah blah. It would be really easy to walk away because there's no reason why I can't. But it's so boring, it makes me believe the phrase "time flies when you're having fun" to be true. 

I took the Costanza approach and did the opposite, I normally like to process stock but agreed to work in the shop. I've done that for 3 months and I do not enjoy it one little bit. The weird thing is, in this shop working in the back room seems to be something people want to do, not avoid as has been the case in all the other places I've been. Maybe there's something I don't know!

When I started I had a feeling I'd reach this point, I've been at this point since before Christmas, yesterday I admitted it to Dan (he's far more keen on me being there than I am). I wanted to stay for a year, now I'm aiming to last 6 months. It will be over in 6 hours, that seems a very long time away.


4 comments:

  1. If it's not for you it's not for you but at least you've given it your best shot. I'm sure there are plenty of other volunteer avenues to explore. I agree it's really boring if not much is happening in the shop but ours is fairly busy so time flies.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum. Admitting it out loud took all the pressure off me, I went in today feeling a lot more relaxed because I wasn't bothered whether the day was good or bad, it was just something I had to do. As it turns out, I worked with someone different and had a blast!

      Delete
  2. I change my mind about my plans lots of times. You're allowed to! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's a big shift in my mind to think of things in terms of "it's not for me" rather than it being a failure. Such drama!

      Delete