Tuesday, 28 January 2014

Toiletries Spend

Inspired by Ann's £100 toiletries challenge I'm going to keep an eye on how much we spend this year on toiletries and beauty stuff. It also motivated me to sort through all the stuff we already have and use it up. I didn't think we had all that much but it turns out we do. I think I thought there wasn't much because I'd decided that we'd never get round to using it.  



We received quite a lot of stuff at Christmas - three handmade soaps and a vanilla giftset. I usually wouldn't use vanilla scented stuff, I prefer something zingy like lime, but it's there so there we go. In the set there is a body scrub, body butter, bath salts and body wash.  

I will be starting the body wash in February as I'm right at the bottom of my favourite Faith in Nature one. We're currently working our way through gift sets from last year too. I thought we were nearly at the end but I found a full bottle of shower gel that I'd set aside to use as bathroom cleaner.  Dan is using a shampoo that was hanging around, there's also some moisturiser and an aftershave balm. There's also two part tubs of face moisturiser, one was a gift (not pictured) and one was something we bought for Dan but it didn't suit his skin. I had been using it for my feet but it will be fine for my face so it's been promoted! 

There are three part bottles of shampoo, I think I've mentioned before that shampoo is an issue in this house. Two of the bottles will be used eventually, probably by me, I don't know what will happen with the third as it did neither of us any good at all. It will probably become shower cleaner. There are also a lot of hair products, we use all of them.

Oh yes, there's a tube of face mask, again bought for Dan but not suitable for his skin (there's no way of knowing until we try things). I don't usually bother with face masks but I am working my way through this tube, probably won't bother replacing it when it's gone. Dan loves a nice face pack though, stops him turning to dust. Also not pictured is a tube of handcream.

As I've just counted everything as "non-food" I'm not full sure what I've bought this month. Off the top of my head I can remember toothpaste, dental floss and face masks. I think I'll just start totting up from the start of February instead, keep it simple and honest.



6 comments:

  1. I swear that sort of stuff breeds when we aren't looking. It's much easier once you've cleared the decks and have just the basics -I know because I am at that point now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know what you mean.

      I'm not sure how it got like this. A few years ago it was really simple, we shared the same shower gel, the same shampoo, face wash, moisturiser. We just had one of everything and no-one ever bought us this stuff as a gift.

      Now, one or other of us gets a gift set every year, our families have gone bonkers for buying hand made soaps for some reason and since Dan was diagnosed with his health thing his skin and hair is all over the place so we end up having to try all sorts to keep it calm.

      Delete
  2. I'm really enjoying using up my stash. It got a bit ridiculous in the end and it takes up so much room too. You look to have quite a lot to keep you going for a while. This challenge is quite fun and managable, especially if you're not really into expensive makeup and other beauty brands. I don't include specific products or medicinal products bought by or for other family members, as sometimes they are expensive and I didn't feel it was fair to limit their usage of certain products i.e. shower gel and more especially because Little Bird has an expensive make up habit for one so young, so I just include the stuff I use personally, but a lot of the toiletries I use are used by all of us, i.e. shampoo, conditioner, soap, toothpaste, hand wash, soap, etc. Good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should save me a fair bit and keep me very soft, even though I wouldn't buy a lot of the stuff I now have - like body butter and body scrub. I'm sure they'll work their magic.

      I got out of the habit of buying toiletries "just because" ages ago so I agree it should be fairly simple as it's just a matter of shopping at home! Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. Not sure whether its clever marketing or not, but most toiletries and make up say to bin it after 12 months. When I realised this I got rid of loads with a very shamed face. Though it hadnt dropped off....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I said goodbye to most of my make up bag when I read that. Thankfully for me, most of the stuff is unopened and the shampoo was all bought around the same time so hopefully I won't fall into that trap again.

      Thanks for dropping in.

      Delete