Monday, 2 December 2013

Fast Change, Slow Change.

Sometimes changes have to be slow, like the chugging along of paying off debts, losing weight or learning new things. Other changes aren't like that, for me those changes are usually the things that help to kick start the slow burning changes. I reached a point where the idea of staying the same was worse than the idea of changing and I faced up to the fact that to arrive at the changes I want things had to change. I can't change my life without changing how I live it.

Recently I've been feeling invisible and that's not a way to feel, when there are things to be done  it's even worse. So, even though it seems contrary to all our financial goals we took some cash out of savings and I have a whole new wardrobe. For some people clothes and things aren't important and I didn't think they really were for me until I saw myself and realised that how I looked didn't represent how I see myself. And at that moment it became important.

Ten years ago we started our change, we faced up to our financial situation and did a lit of things very quickly but change. This slow change came about when I admitted I couldn't cope with my job so I stopped doing it. It was very irresponsible of me and it was a huge and terrifying change but it lead to great things.

That way of working doesn't work anymore though and no matter how we try to squidge those old ways of working into our life now it doesn't work. Willing something to be a certain way when they can't be so is a waste of energy. Doing things differently is the only way. At the minute our goal is less tangible than previous goals so in some ways it's harder. In other ways it's easier as we have more options. There's not a great deal to say about most of our savings as they just happen. I'm excited about what we do and don't do in the next year to create some more dynamic savings though, it is all about what we choose, not what we ban.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, a whole new you. Enjoy.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, it's like an early Christmas and New Year all in one.

      Delete
  2. I'm a great believer in feeling good about the way you look. I try to look smart every day even if I'm staying at home or only going out to walk the dog or get a pint of milk. I do it for me, no one else and it works for me. There's nothing worse than feeling bad about yourself or the way you look every day. We all need to be good to ourselves a bit more if you ask me. If you're happy then the people around you tend to be too, by proxy. Good luck with ringing in your changes, I enjoy reading about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I've always avoided lots of things dismissing them as not for me as they're 'too girly' but now I think 'why not?' So I'm starting to open up to things I would have shunned before and I'm seeing the benefits already.

      I think the charity shop might be the one thing I said yes to that maybe wasn't a good idea. Still, it's a good excuse to get out for a walk so maybe I don't have to like it I just have to do it!

      Delete