Sunday, 22 December 2013

Christmas Bonus

A wee while ago Dan's step mum mentioned that they were going to the Opera House in the Winter Gardens, Blackpool to see the musical "Scrooge" with Tommy Steele. So we said we'd come along too. It was the matinee performance and we thought it would be a little bit cheesy but ideal for getting us in the festive spirit. I apologise wholeheartedly to all concerned for the first part. It was sensational. Tommy Steele was amazing, everything about it was just wonderful and everyone had a great time - even the little boy behind us who was a little scared of the ghosts. Perfect venue, perfect crowd, perfect production. 

The second Christmas bonus arrived in the post. A brown envelope doesn't bring good news all that often, less still one from a solicitor. Again, how wrong we were. It contained a cheque, which must be one of the best things to be popped through the letterbox. It was something to do with the purchase of this house, very much a surprise as we've been here for nearly 4 years. It was less than £100 so not a massive amount, but a very welcome boost to the savings pot. 

Dan's mum has given us a cheque too, it's to cover both Christmas and birthdays for both of us. We're torn over what to do with it. On the one hand we could just have the cash or we could save it. Spending it is always tempting, especially after the demise of the laptop but saving is tempting too. I recently bought a pile of new clothes, the cash for some of this came out of one of our savings pots so I think I'm edging towards putting my part of the cash into that so it feels like I received a whole new wardrobe for Christmas. A very nice brain teaser. 


4 comments:

  1. I hope that when I am 77 I have as much energy as Tommy Steele!!

    How lovely to receive unexpected cash gifts like that- it happened to us one Christmas when we were incredibly hard up, and I cried when I opened the letter and found the heaven-sent cheque.

    Christmas blessings to you and yours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that, amazing how such things tend to happen at this time.

      I agree with you about Tommy Steele. I am half his age and certainly don't have his energy. Simply wonderful. Christmas wishes to you and yours too. I have very much enjoyed your recent blog posts.

      Delete
  2. Yours is the second endorsement of this show that I've heard. I remember going to the pictures to see Tommy in Half a Sixpence. That was a while ago! What a great windfall for Christmas. A very Happy Christmas to you and yours.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has certainly stayed the course. I've been impressed by all of the productions we've seen in Blackpool this year. The venues just enhance them.

      Best wishes to you too.

      Delete