Thursday, 14 November 2013

The Rebrand

I'm having a reinvention. 

Cosiness has turned into laziness and more than slight scruffiness at times. On Tuesday I started thinking about changes, yesterday I started putting the thoughts into actions. I'm glad I chose yesterday as today there's lots of hailstones flying about, not my favourite type of weather to be out and about it. 

Nothing huge happened yesterday, I just had the kind of day I thought I'd have when we moved here. I still call this our new house when we'll have lived here for four years in the spring. I hadn't walked on our beach since September when I thought I'd do that every day. But when we first moved here I hadn't taken into account, serious illness, the cuts, constant fear of job loss, money stuff and general stuff getting in the way of my dream life. 

So I went to the beach and petted some dogs. Then I went to the library and took out two fiction books, I rarely read fiction unless it's about Moomins. I think the last fiction book I read was "The Night Circus" and that was last year maybe or the year before. Probably last year. Then I decided to take a slightly different route home, only one street across from the usual but I found myself looking into the charity shop window then wandering in to volunteer. My taster session is next Tuesday afternoon. Finally I put aside all my usual worries about sweatshops and things and went into New Look, and it was not all that bad. I then had an annoying experience with a self service checkout when I went to get some milk but that's par for the course I believe. 

I've been through my wardrobe and dealt with all that stuff and I'm now writing a list of 10 items for a new capsule wardrobe - everything will be grey. I'm even toying with the idea of buying a lipstick, that's how deep this goes! And I've done some exercise and eaten healthily every day. This little folly will be funded by the M&S giftcard I receive every year from FIL and any other money I receive for the festive and birthday times which are only two weeks apart. 

So now you know.

6 comments:

  1. Good for you. Sometimes we all need to make a few changes. I admire you for volunteering at the charity shop. I must admit I always avoid those annoying self service tills, much to the surprise of the staff that always try to direct you to them. I much prefer to deal with a human being although even they can be annoying on occasions. I like to think it keeps people in jobs, but I'm not so sure my actions actually make any difference and they'll probably be foisted on us whether we like it or not eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I don't know if I'll like it but if I don't try I'll never know. I've worked in charity shops on and off for years but usually in the background, this time I've decided to face the public and work in the shop itself.

      The shop we usually use doesn't have self service tills thankfully, but I was in the town centre and used the shop that does have them. The place was packed so the self service seemed like the more sensible option. It was not, the machine wouldn't accept my money, with not hilarious consequences!

      Delete
  2. I love the idea of a capsule wardrobe but have so many tops trousers and jumpers there's no way I'm getting rid until I either tire of them or they get too tatty. I don't even want to sell them on Ebay as I really like to wear them. So maybe instead of just keeping them 'nice' I should just - WEAR THEM anytime! I did think of working in a charity shop but I'd be tempted too much! I volunteer for Sustrans so that's my way of doing my bit, although the charity shop would be easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep thinking I would like to do something a bit more outdoorsy in terms of volunteering. I did sign up for the beach clean but the guy in charge was a bit... not rude but not pleasant so it put me off.

      I wouldn't get rid of any clothes if I liked them, I would force myself to wear them though. It's so easy to keep things for best but then best never comes!

      Delete
  3. I love my one day a week 'playing shop' in the CS. I get to ping ping a real till and I can rearrange things if I wish.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoy your time at the shop. I hope it's a nice experience for me. I've had some bad experiences before with shoplifters, nudity and other not very nice customers so I'm a bit wary but hope it will be ok.

      Delete