Monday, 21 October 2013

Being Very Serious

I know I've said all of this before but you know when you feel the difference between just saying the words and understanding what they mean? That's what this is. 

We had a very serious conversation yesterday with MIL about the past and the future. You can't help but think about things when that happens. For the past 18 months we've been pretending to save money but we've been in a "life's too short" phase. That phase can't turn into a lifestyle so the real, proper, honest belt tightening and saving needs to start up again. There have been a few false dawns in this regard but I feel more than ready, I'm craving the challenge. 

To start with I'm knocking £50 a month off the grocery budget, looking at our spending habits it should be more than possible - cut down on waste, cut down on impulse purchases and go to the shop twice a week maximum (the second trip should really only be for greens). We've been going to the supermarket at least 4 times a week, it's utter madness. I have always loved grocery shopping but even I'm sick of the inside of the place. It seems like a good way to start the savings. 

We're bringing back the change jar. It was a success in the past but the last couple of times we've had one the cash has been used for work expenses, car parking and other stuff like that. So in a sense it's been useful but there's nothing to show for it at the end of the year. 

I'm finally starting to feel like normality is returning after Em's visit. It was great to have her here but there have been bonus effects, we really understand now how important being at home and living the way we do is to us. Having someone around who didn't want to go for a walk to the beach or take photographs and all that stuff made me realise how much I do love it and take it for granted. Having a peep into someone else's life really has made me appreciate my own as I said the other day. It's also made me see where we waste money and how quickly it can slip from my fingers. This new resolve has come from a strange place and I'm happy about that. 

More details when I've compiled a few lists!

No comments:

Post a Comment