Wednesday, 11 September 2013

The Things We Do For Love

My parents met on a train on the way home from a football match.

In 1968 Mother gave Father the vouchers from her ticket stubs so he could go to the European Cup Final at Wembley to watch Manchester United play Benfica. She listened to it on the radio. He couldn't not marry her after that.

The best advice about love I ever received was never to go out with someone who didn't like sport - they don't know what commitment is and they just can't sustain the passion come what may. I went out with someone who didn't like sport once, it was all true. 

When I was little we didn't get a cooked tea if United lost. That's why we went to watch Runcorn fairly often, we'd always have a pie and some soup. When we got to Canal Street we went to the kiosk and Father would have a pie put on top of the oven so it wasn't too hot by half time. I still love soup from those big black urns. My eldest brother was knocked out by the ball once and had to receive smelling salts from the physio. 

Every game has a story, even fan has their ritual and every Boxing Day is the best day of the year.

I know a lot of people would rather poke their eyes out with the corner flag than wander around cold fields, climbing over walls and looking at signs. But like any photo a picture of a ground can say a lot. Something that means a lot to a lot of folk must have some significance and something to say somewhere down the line. Even if we can't understand it I think we can get a little glimpse into that world and think "hmmm, I can see that". For example, I'll probably never like cats but I can see why other people do after spending time with folk who have them in their life.

All that to say I'm going to share some of my favourite photographs and if there's a story behind it I'll share that too. 

4 comments:

  1. Great stories here in this post already. I don't like football and I like cats but I'm coming back for another share of your stories. Think of all the stories each ground could tell. Now there's a idea for a series of books.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, I'll have to see what memories the pictures bring to mind.

      Delete
  2. Ha ha, don't like football, allergic to cats. Does loving shoes and dogs count?

    I love the ticket stub love story. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come one, come all!

      It's a great story isn't it, my parents have the best football stories. Everything from seeing some being hit on the head with a bell, to my mum being bitten by a police horse and plenty in between.

      Delete