Monday, 9 September 2013

Something To Get My Teeth Into


After all the back and forth about what I want to do as a project or to fill my time someone else presented me with the thing that was in plain view. 

We went to the book launch of The Caravan Gallery's book about Lytham St Annes. We crammed into Fresh cafe on Friday night. Happily I got to sit next to the Town Crier, Doktor Hotfingers was there to supply the music (he was next to me on the other side). In addition to the lovely spread provided by the staff of Fresh local character Louisa made some Chimney Cakes. According to Louisa they're called Chimney Cakes because they look a bit like a chimney (if you took a peek at the Caravan Gallery link Louisa is the lady with a pigeon on her head). There was a conversation between the artists and a lady from the Bluecoat in Liverpool. Then the fun started.

I was one of the few people there who weren't the mayor, a person from a council or an artist so it was to the hilarity of a bloke from the County Council that I said "I'm not an artist, I'm a housewife". Long story and several glasses of pink fizzy wine later he suggested I send some of my photographs to a bloke he knows at the National Football Museum in Manchester. 

Which leads to the project that was staring me in the face. When Dan and I got together one of the first things we did was start photographing football grounds we came across. It all started with Bootham Crescent in York which was in danger of being used for housing. We started documenting grounds big and small just in case they disappeared. Here we are 12 years later and indeed some have gone, some have changed and some are the same as they ever were.

Problem is, I have "proper" photos, digital ones from cameras and phones of all ages and quality, none of the organised. I am scanning, compiling, archiving and in some cases trying to remember where on Earth I took some of them. Should keep me quiet for a while. We got back on the road yesterday and did 5 grounds in Wales, I was eyed suspiciously by a security guard at Airbus, tiptoed through a flowerbed in Bangor, got a tantalising glimpse of Connah's Quay and walked straight into the ground for a poke about in Rhyl and Prestatyn. Tiring but geeky joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment