Wednesday, 7 August 2013

Thingbabies and the Wrapping Paper Curse

I dislike thingbabies. Those little things that you need to have in order to facilitate the big thing that you really want. They are the bedfellow of the wrapping paper curse - those things you buy in order to be prepared/ grab a bargain but in fact clutter up your house and do everything they can to get on your nerves. Unless they're for quilting in which case the thingbabies are almost as good as the quilt.

Yesterday it was tin foil. We do not, as a rule, buy foil. I just don't need it, I won't wash it and reuse it and I don't want to buy something just to chuck it away. But Dan bought a reduced haggis and to cook the haggis it needed to be wrapped in foil. So he bought some and ate the haggis. Fine.

Not fine because now there's 87% of a roll of foil in the kitchen. We don't have a huge kitchen and it's set up the way I want it (within the constraints of the kitchen provided). So to have a roll of foil to house is very very annoying. I spent 20 minutes trying to find a way to squeeze the foil into one of the kitchen drawers. Rearranging the drawers would have meant meant rearranging 3 cupboards too. STOP THE MADNESS! 

I then had a brainwave - stick it in the pantry on that shelf I never use because it's too high up where things like flasks and emergency pineapple juice live. Good idea. So I did. But it was on my mind all night so I got up this morning and rearranged all the cupboards and the pantry too, to the point of actually decanting all the dried stuff into the glass jars I won but can never be bothered to use like the jaunty ladies do. This would not have happened if I didn't have a to do list as long as my arm. Procrastination may steal time but it did allow me to look at all my tablecloths. 

2 comments:

  1. THANK GOODNESS there's someone else who lives in my world! Put your feet up - you've have a busy & stressful morning. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's always good to know you're not alone in your imperfection isn't it.

      Delete