Friday, 2 August 2013

Judged At The Supermarket (plus bargains)

The perils of buying junk food, this never happens when we buy our usual cook from scratch stuff. 

We went to the supermarket last night and did very well for bargains - things that were on our shopping list anyway so no waste. What did we get? 3 packs of cauldron sausages for the price of one, socked away in the freezer, we don't eat them very often but they were a total bargain and good for a not-holiday fry up, reduced salad, mushrooms, potato cakes (Dan's secret treat spread with marmite), root beer, cereal bars and some other stuff that's in the freezer so I can't remember what it is. 

Anyway, Dan wanted some nut cutlets for a change/ a bit of retro joy so we picked up a pack. When we got to the checkout the assistant started a running commentary on our shopping! She looked at the almond milk as though it was an alien baby then when she scanned the nut cutlets and declared "I wouldn't fancy eating them, is it some kind of vegetarian thing?". Erm, ok, the good news is that you don't have to eat them, there is no law about it. 

I didn't really know what to say so I just said "oh, they're a bit like fancy stuffing, very filling" and other bland things like that. She said "they're alright for the money aren't they though". So not only does my food look disgusting I'm also a cheapskate. Two cheeky comments for the price of one! They do look disgusting and I am a cheapskate I don't need people to point it out :-)

8 comments:

  1. I expect she might need some customer service training.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think you're right, Dan has emailed the company. It's so surprising as the staff as usually very well trained and it's a nice place to shop. It's not one of the big four, it's a small chain.

      Delete
  2. OldTat is right - I would have been tempted to reply 'is it part of company policy to disparage customers' purchases? or are you hoping we will all shop at Tesco so this store has to close?'
    [tempted- but sadly, probably would have made a safe, bland reply]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! The weird thing is I think she was genuinely just striking up conversation rather than to be offensive. I think on another day I would have said something else but I was so surprised it caught me off guard. Never to worry!

      Delete
  3. That is unbelievably rude! Hopefully you'll get a voucher from the company to apologise though and she'll get some better training. Even if she didn't mean it in a nasty way, you can't say stuff like that to a customer!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jen, thanks for dropping by. I think an apology will be on the way.

      Delete
  4. Oh dear... the worst thing about reading this is that I could easily have been reading about myself here (a younger, by about 18yrs, self... but that's not the point... I cringe when I think back to the days when I worked behind the healthcare counter for a well known chemist. I was so naive and inappropriate at times. But sssh, I didn't really admit to that!)

    Bless her, if she's anything like I was, her rudeness was out of ignorance rather than spite. I'm sure you'll receive an apology shortly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sara, thinking back to my days working in hospitality I think I probably said a couple of less than appropriate things too!

      Delete