Tuesday, 6 August 2013

Food and Drink

So after yesterday I was feeling on the fence about some of the things we said we'd do about the not-holiday. Last year I didn't feel like it was a holiday as there was still a ton of housework for me to do - like washing up. I dislike washing up a lot. So this year we agreed to buy some ready made salads from M&S - you know those small but quite nice looking ones with beans and things. We said we'd get a tray of veg for roasting and a few other things like that. 

I thought about it yesterday and came to the conclusion that just because we have a budget for it doesn't mean it's a good idea. 

So Dan is taking Friday off work and that's going to be our prep day - cut the grass, clean the car, change the sheets and all that stuff, we don't need to pack but we do need to get ready. We're adding to that domestic bliss list - prepare some food. So we're going to get into the kitchen and wash and chop salad, roast some veg, make salad dressing and that kind of thing. I know it's what everyone else already does but I thought it was what I didn't want to do. But it just seems insane that I'd go out and buy a quinoa salad when I have quinoa at home, or I'd buy a tray of roasting veg for a couple of quid just to avoid washing up the roasting tin. 

I feel better about that now, it didn't sit well with me even when I thought it was a good idea. I'm sure it was nothing to do with reading a lot of voluntary simplicity blogs yesterday :-)

Flask update - I found another flask that doesn't smell at all, I'd forgotten Dan's mum gave it to us a wee while ago when she was having a sort out. The main news is - the other two flasks are fragrance free and fresh as a daisy! The main bit of the work was done by putting some bicarb into the bottom of the flask topping up with hot water and putting the lid on. The fizzy froth brought out all manner of horrible looking bits and most of the smell disappeared. Hooray!

4 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone likes washing up - but homemade is far superior to bought food anyway - even my cooking! Happy no holiday.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mum, I have bought a bright green washing up bowl to make the whole affair a bit less dull.

      Delete
  2. Yay!! Hail, hail to the bicarb!!! I don't know how I coped those days before I discovered the stuff along with it's wee pal vinegar. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great stuff, that's for sure. I might even get round to using it for baking one of these days!

      Delete