Thursday, 13 June 2013

Saving For Holidays

How do you do it?

We don't go away but Dan does have time off so we get as close as we can to having a holiday. We have seaside (+ve), we have space to lounge (+ve), we have washing up (-ve), there is no chambermaid (+ve and -ve). Positive in that if I want to loiter about my bedroom for ages no-one is going to disturb me, negative that I still have to make my own bed.

Our holiday is to be 9 days 5 days out and 4 at home. We have a long list of places to visit - Spurn Point (it's a "thing" for us), Huddersfield, Bowes Museum, Bridgenorth, Carlisle, Kirkby Lonsdale, Lancaster, Nottingham, Lincoln and somewhere as yet undecided in Wales.

That's a lot of travel and a lot of cash. So we have to save. We have saved but it's tough for me. We have saved an extra £200 this month for the holiday on top of the new higher savings amount and the money for the "stuff that crops up like very bills and car things" account. It's not that not having the extra cash available is that hard, just that it hard to not think about it. When the sun is shining and all is gorgeous it's hard to not want a bitter shandy. But those small leaks sink ships don't they. And I can have a bitter shandy on holiday. 

When we really didn't have any spare cash when we were getting out of debt it was easier in some senses. We had no money and no real choice so it was easy to justify why staying at home was better and why we didn't really want anything. But when we do have money and we're saving up for bitter shandy in August when I want it this weekend is harder. It's feels... inauthentic (is that a word). That's what I have a real problem with, pretending, it just draws my attention to something that for the rest of the year I wouldn't even think about. 

2 comments:

  1. We like Sunderland Point and a meal at Snatchem's which is between Lancaster and Morecambe. Funny how a place becomes 'the' place to visit.
    Love from Mum
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mum,

      I showed Dan some of your photos of Sunderland Point. I'm not sure he's convinced but I think if I mention it enough we'll end up going. After all, it's not that far away and I could sweeten the deal with suggestion we visit The Palatine in Morecambe afterwards...

      Delete